Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Some thoughts as we move into the final 1/4 of the season

December 11, 2023 03:07PM
1. This team is lightyears ahead of where I thought they would be. I think its a testament to the coaching staff and FO. Youngest or 2nd youngest team in the league, playing a ton of rookies and nobodies and being competitive week in and week out.

2. A healthy Stafford gives the Rams a chance to win week in and week out. He is absolutely dealing right now and I have zero issues with him going into 2024. It all comes down to health and no one can predict that.

3. Love 3/5 of the OL. I still want a OC with a nasty streak to match his OGs and I still prefer to upgrade LT. But overall I am pretty satisfied with the OL.

4. K. Williams is everything I thought he would be when they drafted him. I said in my draft review that he would be a fan favorite due to how tough he plays. He runs violently and plays bigger than his size. I prefer another complimentary RB, but this draft is gross IMO. Id wait until later.

5. TE room is finally looking pretty solid, Allen was a great pick and I think the Rams are OK at the position. Its a mostly young room that should only get better.

6. Puka has been a revelation, but he was a hard college eval because he was always injured. I really liked the pick, with the caveat that he needed to stay healthy, fingers crossed. I like D. Robinson as a #3, but for the right price. Kupp looks to be rounding into form just in time for a playoff push. Tutu is just not my cup of tea. If the Rams go offense early in the draft (round 1 or 2) I prefer a LT then a WR, but its really close. This WR draft is so talented at the top.

7. The DL is actually in pretty good shape. Turner is an absolute stud and his ceiling is insane. AD is still the GOAT and Brown III and Williams are good depth. I still want 1 more DL and if the right guy was sitting there early, they could be in play.

8. Jones has been more than solid this year, Rozeboom is fine for the amount of snaps he gets, and Young has been very good as a rookie. That said they need help at the the other outside spot. I really want to fill that with a FA. Burns is almost certain to be tagged, Sweat signed a longterm deal with Chi, so that leaves Young if SF cannot resign him and I dont think they do, Hunter from Minn was promised not to be tagged so he would work, but my #1 target would be Josh Allen from Jax, young, productive and from a size presepctive, perfect fit for the Rams. I'd break the bank for him.

9. Witherspoon should be resigned at the right price, not a Kendrick fan and overall the DB room needs upgrading. I think a DB is def. in the running in round 1.

10. Safeties have been a mixed bag this year, I think really up and down and way too many lapses. I think Fuller is a FA and not sure is back. JJ3 is also a FA. This group needs some help as well.

11. Special Teams - Punter is good, but man they need to solve their kicker problem, and TBH Trammel makes me nervous at punter returning.

12. So recapping the offense. I love the idea of a healthy Stafford with Kupp, Nakua, K. Williams, Allen and Higbee. Thats a group that can stress a defense. I would love to add a back if the Rams aren't convinced Zach Evans is that guy. I also love our OGs and Havs, but feel an upgrade can be made at OC and quite possibly LT. I also want a deep threat WR that isn't 5'-8"

13. Recapping the defense. I like AD, Turner on the line but they need more depth, I like Jones and Young at the LBer spots but desperately need another edge. CB needs a legit #2 and maybe some help at safety.

14. Overall, I think there is a ton to like on this team, youth that is mostly performing well and will continue to improve, again a healthy Stafford and Kupp along with youngsters Puka and Williams will keep the O rolling. Defense has been good, the young guys are balling, but it still needs help. STs I feel is a biproduct of such a young team, your depth is your STs guys and this team lacks depth, but that will naturally improve going into next year.

15. Its way too early to get into free agency, esp since they are currently in the middle of a playoff push, but I'll touch on it a bit. I really want some experience and production at the Edge spot and CB. But looking at FA as it stands now, I think EDGE is the spot to dump cash into. Lots of options, lots of production. CB is trickier and I think you can get away with some mid tier talent. Like an Adoree Jackson coming home to LA for example. Of the Rams FAs, Im focusing on Dotson, then Witherspoon and A. Jackson. Maybe Fuller, but knowing how the Rams never resign safeties, Im not holding my breath. DL should see some quality FAs and may have some value. The only FA OC I'd look at is Tyler Biadasz from Dallas. Loved him in the draft and still like him. Otherwise, once again Im targeting a OC in the draft unless Avila moves to OC. OT market looks thin. WR has some interesting names, but I like this Front offices ability to get quality WRs in the draft later on.

16. Draft. Again, as long as the Rams are in the playoff race I'll avoid getting too in-depth with draft stuff. But I have some thoughts about it since the college regular season is over.
a. QBs- The class is thinning out. Ewers is going back to Texas, Sanders back to Colorado, Beck back to Georgia, Riley Leonard is transferring and we don't know on McCarthy. As it stands right now, I have Williams #1, Maye #2, Daniels #3, Penix #4, Nix #5. Thats it at least in the first 2 rounds. Rams should have a shot at Penix and Nix. If the Rams are comfortable with his medicals, I think McVay will like him. Super accurate, bigtime leader on and off the field from everything I've read. I'd take Nix if he was there in the 2nd and groom him.

b. WRs are super talented and super deep. Forget Harrison Jr., I Nabers is next and is a perfect fit for the Rams, but should also be gone. Egbuka and Odunze may be in the Rams range and are also really nice fits. They would be hard to pass on. Coleman is an athletic freak, but not a precise route runner, Xavier Worthy is going to smoke the combine, fastest WR in the draft? with superior athleticism and a precise route runner. His weight may be an issue, but he is one I'm keeping an eye on. Troy Franklin is another really good fit for the Rams and a favorite of mine (I do have a ton of favorite WRs) McConkey is more of what the Rams have, but obviously thats what works for them and should be available in round 2 for sure. Lastly, is Johnny Wilson a TE or WR? Hmmm

c. OTs - I have 2 at LT. Its Fashanu and Alt. After that its a bunch or RTs Fuaga, Latham and Mims. I ahven't seen Jordan Morgan yet this year and haven't seen Patrick Paul from Houston this year, but he dominated for them last year. I really don't see a scenario where Alt or Fashanu make it to the Rams slot. I'd wait.

d. DL - T Sweat is huge at over 350, but an absolute athletic freak, Newton from Illinois is a perfect Rams DL at 6'-2" 295 and an absolute athlete. He is quick of the snap and relentless. Love him in horns. He may go too high.

e. Edge - Its Verse, Turner, Latu and Robinson for me so far in the first round. Not sure the order. Verse had an off year compared to last year, but he is absolutely a fit. Latu is interesting because he has had a monster year, but he medically retired before coming back, so his medicals could cause him to have some monster slide we see sometimes, or he checks out and is one of the first 3 edges off the board. Perfect Rams fit. Turner is a bit smaller, but can drop into coverage and his first step is devastating. Has the frame to add strength. Robinson is a personal favorite of mine, has declared for the draft, is a good fit for the Rams, but his pass rush is raw and needs developing. Is that something this defense can afford to wait on? Im not sure.

f. DB - lots of decent talent. Kool-Aid McKinstry is still my #1 and probably out of range, after that its a dogfight for #2 with King from Penn State, Wiggins from Clemson, DeJean from Iowa and Burke from Ohio St all in the mix. My absolute favorite Rams fit + current draft position is Cooper DeJean. He can play outside at 6'-1" 207, can play in the slot and move back into the safety position. Solid tackler, physical in press man, good awareness in zone. he could play the star position for the Rams. Or stay outside. Bonus, he is a punt returner. A very good one. He could literally solve 3 issues in one pick. There are no safeties I like at the Rams current spot, and frankly not sure a safety makes the first round.

g. If I didn't mention a position, its because I don't like anyone for the Rams in the first. There are a ton of OCs that work. Van Pran fits in round 2, as does Powers-Johnson. Plenty of good OCs throughout the draft. RB is gross this year IMO. Brooks is going back to Texas. Rocket Sanders spent the year injured and entered the transfer portal so it gets thinned out. I think Henderson from Ohio St is the best of the bunch, but a 2nd rounder, Corum from Mich is a 2nd rounder as well. Benson FSU a 2nd rounder. Ray Davis from Kentucky is a mid rounder that fits along with Williams. Isaiah Davis from South Dakota State is a stud that can be had day 3. TEs later on Im looking at Sinnott and Lachey. KSU and Iowa respectively.

Thats all I have for now.

Don't waste your time looking back, you're not going that way. - Ragnar Lothbrok
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Some thoughts as we move into the final 1/4 of the season

Deadpool280December 11, 2023 03:07PM

Thanks man

OhioRamsFan59December 11, 2023 03:11PM

appreciate the effort DP nm

21Dog44December 11, 2023 03:24PM

Appreciate the update

Hazlet Hacksaw49December 11, 2023 04:12PM

Thank You Very Much its Appreciated

BerendsenRam45December 11, 2023 04:57PM

Re: Some thoughts as we move into the final 1/4 of the season