Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: NSCA Professional Coach of the Year Award Eligibility and Criteria

December 07, 2023 07:25PM
Thanks, Mama.

I recall our exchanges on this topic before; you pointed out that there had been some personnel changes in S&C.

What you reveal here about the award leaves me just about where I was to begin with regarding the Rams S&C coaching as a whole. I'm still looking at an outsized number of lower leg injuries, some of which have to be chalked up to the playing surface, others to the player's condition coming in, and the rest to inadequate conditioning over time.

I recall looking at our injuy list in comparison to opponent's injury lists a few times. The number of players on the lits might be about the same, or one team with more than the other. There migh be guys in concussion protocol, or guys with hand, arm, or rib injuries that come with playing football. But the categories I compared mosr was lower leg injuries, plus hammy injuries, strained leg ligaments, pulled tendons in the upper leg. Thigh bruises? Didn't count those, or hip pointers or ACL's etc. that come from contact. What I saw waas, game-for-game usually, and over time, the Rams had a bigger number of preventable injuries.

Bottom line, I'd like to see fewer strains, sprains, and other preventable injuries to Rams players. I'd like to see the Rams finish games with plenty left in the tank - wearing other teams into the turf and triumphing over them physically.

I notice that some of our best players, notably Aaron Donald and Cooper Kupp, train on their own during the off-season. That's when the S&C coach should be earning most of his keep, getting them ready for the next season.

I have to ask myself: What is going on with the Rams? Some players are ready, finish games strong. What input, or supervision, or inspiration, even, are they drawing from the S&C coach? And what about the other players?

Frankly, I don't know - and am more puzzled when our head S&C guy gets an association award that doesn't neccessarily reflect performance

.If the award were based on measurables, i.e. injury reports tracking downward, coach developing innovativeand measurably effective approaches to strength and conditioning, I'd be relieved.

As-is, I hope I'm wrong, somehow, in what the few metrics an an informal eyeball test have told me: We're getting by, with a largely player-driven S&C program, but could be doing better.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams Director of Strength and Conditioning Justin Lovett named Professional Strength and Conditioning Coach of the Year by NSCA

BerendsenRam182December 06, 2023 03:34PM

Wow And I bet Most Wanted This Guy Fired.

den-the-coach69December 07, 2023 04:59AM

Re: I want to know more

mtramfan56December 07, 2023 07:36AM

NSCA Professional Coach of the Year Award Eligibility and Criteria

MamaRAMa52December 07, 2023 02:34PM

mtramfan24December 07, 2023 07:25PM

MamaRAMa36December 07, 2023 08:56PM