Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

While the rule seems unfair, I can see why it was made that way in the first place.

September 15, 2023 04:51AM
Football is territorial.

Get a first down for achieving 10 yards.
Get 3 points for kicking the ball through 2 uprights.
Get 2 points for tackling the other team in their own end zone.
Get 6 points for getting to the opponents end zone.

Ok, that brings up the end zone. It is a territory, either to defeat or to defend. In defending it, you try to keep your opponent from entering that territory. In pursuing it, you want to enter that territory and win it. Both sides want to have that territory for themselves.

Part of the defense of that territory includes trying to make the other side lose control of that ball. In the "neutral" territory of the field of play, teams keep control of the ball if it goes OOB. End zones are different. When the ball goes OOB in the end zone, that's the defending team's "territory"; that's their "realm" so to speak. They stopped the offensive team from entering that territory, it's their territory, so they get the ball. While placing it at the 20 may not seem right, the point was made that a punt in the end zone has the same result--the idea that the offensive team lost control of the ball with either a punt, fumble, interception, or missed FG,then the defending team now goes on offense at the 20. After a missed FG, rules are slightly adjusted, of course.

I "hate" the rule, too. But it does actually make sense when end zones are looked at as the defenses territory and any loss of the ball there is "owned" by the defending team.

NewMexicoRam

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2023 04:56AM by NewMexicoRam.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

NFL's dumbest rule strikes again

Rampage2K-346September 14, 2023 06:46PM

Re: NFL's dumbest rule strikes again

XXXIVwin104September 14, 2023 10:10PM

Agreed.

brgjoe78September 15, 2023 01:48AM

I'm torn. A part of me says it should be spotted at the 1.

Ramgator65September 15, 2023 01:56AM

Re: I'm torn. A part of me says it should be spotted at the 1.

21Dog61September 15, 2023 04:35AM

While the rule seems unfair, I can see why it was made that way in the first place.

NewMexicoRam57September 15, 2023 04:51AM

Re: While the rule seems unfair, I can see why it was made that way in the first place.

Ekern5558September 15, 2023 05:35AM

Re: NFL's dumbest rule strikes again

Old Goat54September 15, 2023 04:18AM