Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Can LA Rams OC Mike LaFleur change the Rams offense, or has he already?

July 01, 2023 08:01AM
My understanding is that the offense is decided by McVay, but is absolutely a collaboration that requires the entire staff to contribute in various ways. Kromer was a great example. His Oline in Buffalo produced a top running game using mostly power schemes and then he came to the Rams. That doesn't mean he was exclusively a coach that understood duo, trap, and pulling schemes and not zone. Coaches at that level know the basics of all types of schemes. McVay has never feared dissenting voices and when the zone stopped working like it did, Kromer was helpful in the adjustments.

It really drives me crazy when fans and "analysts" suggest McVay is reticent to run when his first two years produced a dominant running game that made Gurley an offensive MVP. Every game is different and a multitude of injuries necessitates a shrinking of the playbook that takes in account the strengths and weaknesses of your own and opposing players. There are a myriad of adjustments made throughout a game. McVay understands everyone must contribute but he has to set the standards and methods of communication. I find it curious that his offensive coordinators regularly become head coaches but were "underutilized". I mean, does someone here have access to the headsets on gameday? And that's only the contributions during a game. Does anyone really know how much input OConnell had when he was OC?

LaFleur was hired because Sean trusts him for reasons we can only speculate. The best case scenario is that nobody knows the reasons and changes until they've done something unexpected...ie, Brandon Staley as a DC. We know Sean appreciates innovation. While we won't be privy to the inner workings, we will know after the season by whether or not the coach is retained (Morris), moves on up (OConnell) or moves on out (Cohen).

Bottom line, changes are coming. But LaFluer is trusted to help develop Sean's vision and implementation of the offense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2023 08:08AM by Leoram.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Can LA Rams OC Mike LaFleur change the Rams offense, or has he already?

BerendsenRam241June 30, 2023 06:32PM

mtramfan86June 30, 2023 06:59PM

It's McVay's offense

JimYoungblood5384June 30, 2023 07:18PM

Re: It's McVay's offense

David Deacon131July 01, 2023 04:12AM

Rams4393July 01, 2023 04:23AM

Leoram63July 01, 2023 08:01AM