Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: It will be the same for the WHOLE defense

June 18, 2023 09:04AM
mtramfan
Agreed for the most part, dude - I hope to see plenty of rotation and second chances, as you put it, especially in preseason.

I'd like for the starting combinations on both D overall and O line to be set, and have enough snaps to gel as much as they can as units in time for the first game.

The first three games will be the acid tests.

I think the D scheme might be even more simplified than we've seen in the past going into the season, given the new faces at so many positions, and lack of vet savvy at key spots from last year. The scheming from there will look about the same, I think, with the biggest changes to occur being geared to what we get in the pass rush.

I want to see a pass rush that gives the opposing O problems consistently - upsets the timing of the QB, hurries his throws, makes for incompletions and interceptions. I'm less concerned about the occasional sack than I am about constant pressure.

If we get that kind of pressure, the defensive backs can play tighter - with more interceptions as the result. Forcing the QB to throw at around the two second mark is different from asking your backs to cover for three, four or five seconds.

I'm more optimistic than some about our new young-looking D. They'll be well-coached, committed to the dawg work from linebackers that we've grown accustomed to on the D line. We have some raw ball-hawking talent in our CB's and safeties that Pleasant ought to be able to develop into real playmakers. We haven't seen that overall (exception Ramsey) for a couple of years.

I'll be looking for a D to develop that can rush the QB, know when the ball is coming out, go to it, and either thump the guy who caught it, bat it down or pick it off. We have plenty of new pieces to play with at the rush positions to rotate in and out, keep a fresh rush in the face of an opposing O line and maybe wear it down over the course of a game.

It's an if/then proposition regartding scheme. Changing the scheme without the pass rush to make it effective will only make matters worse.

We actually agree on a lot mt. I think you might be right on your scheme observations. Pass rush should be a priority of we want to run that kind of shell behind it.

I honestly think we will see "rotations" all year long and even into next season.

Playing more aggressive on D without a good rush would certainly make things hard on the backend. But also letting the opposing QB's get the ball out in less than 2.5 seconds while playing 10 yards off the LOS won't make things much easier for these inexperienced kids who be playing either.

I am thinking the additions of Lake and Pleasant will go a long way and will be a big help to Morris and the new kids too. Both have good pedigrees and might be 2 of our best "additions" this off season.

#HelmetHornsMatter

“Well, the color is good, I like the metallic blue,” Youngblood recently said while laughing, via NFL Journal. “The horn is terrible. It looks like a ‘C.’ When I first saw it on the logo I honestly thought it was a Charger logo.

“Now when I see it on the helmet, it just isn’t a ram horn. There is no distinct curl like a mature ram horn. I don’t know how the Rams could get that wrong. That is your symbol and it has been for what? Seventy years or more? Longer than I have been alive? It’s just not us, it’s not the Rams.”---Mr. Ram Jack Youngblood

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2023 09:13AM by Ramsdude.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Sean McVay: Rams' D-line may feature more rotations than usual

BerendsenRam172June 18, 2023 07:15AM

It will be the same for the WHOLE defense

Ramsdude91June 18, 2023 08:07AM

mtramfan59June 18, 2023 08:58AM

Ramsdude48June 18, 2023 09:04AM

Defensive training

NewMexicoRam49June 18, 2023 09:41AM

Well said NMR!

Ramsdude42June 18, 2023 10:18AM

Re: Teaching coaches

mtramfan70June 18, 2023 10:17AM

Not a fair comparison. Misunderstands time limitations

JimYoungblood5359June 18, 2023 10:55AM

I like the way you think mtramfan

Ramsdude75June 18, 2023 11:22AM

There will be more competition for starting positions this year than there has been for years…

Rams4346June 18, 2023 09:07AM

It makes some sense in that several player don't fit exact types

JimYoungblood5344June 18, 2023 10:09AM