Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: A few things I’m now pretty sure of…

June 02, 2023 09:16AM
Rams43
David Deacon
Rams43
In no particular order…

Boom, if healthy, will be starting LOT come September. They’re committed to him contractually and he’s among ‘best 5’ of Boom, Jackson, Avila, Bruss or Anchrum or McClendon at RG, and Hav. I think Boom has to win the job over Jackson, Bruss has to show he can play and is healthy, Hav's and Avila are locks, Center is open Avila/Allen/Shelton and final configuration of OL will be figured out in camp.

Allen, despite his knee will not only be kept but probably start until his inevitable injury. Agree but will be much quicker to move him to IR once he gets dinged up

This will be Higbee’s last year as a Ram. I think McVay has finally decided to develop TE prominently into his O. Probably will draft a pass catching TE next year, too. Probably agree but depends on how players develop. They will have cap space for a team friendly deal.

The battle for WR’s 3 through 6 will be fierce. Impossible to handicap at this point. Kupp/Jefferson/Tutu and Skow are locks. Last 2 spots are anyone's guess

Rams overall Edge play will be superior to the ‘22 version, even though Floyd is now gone. This will make Morris’ job a lot easier.

Wagner will be missed but not by all that much. Jones will fill in nicely.

Both Durant and Tomlinson will start at CB. Not sure exactly where Morris will deploy them, but they will be on the field and be ballhawks.One of those guys will be in the slot. Rochell or Kendricks might start

Kendrick will be a reserve despite Morris’ happy coachspeak. Rams can do better. They MUST do better. Rams must like Kendrick and or Rochelle more than the board or they would have drafted a CB in a draft loaded with CB talent/color]

I think our ST are gonna shine. The Blackburn hire is looking like a HR. Hope your right but we have an unknown kicker/punter and long snapper. Coverage Units should be strong as we have a lot of big, fast strong players who will be fighting for a job and ST will be their ticket to the final roster

This assistant coach corps will prove to be one of McVay’s best, maybe even best ever overall. Gonna miss the old RB coach but otherwise I agree

I’m so optimistic about this revived OL that I think both Stafford and Akers could have career years. I think McVay has learned his lesson about importance of strong OL and will never again allow it to slip behind. I agree and the size, brawn and depth of the OL allows for a power running game which will make Stafford & WR/TE crew more dangerous

If McVay can pull all this together and somehow win 9 games I think he might be in the conversation for COTY. If Morris gets the defense to play in the middle of the pack McVay wins COTY and Morris gets a HC job and Rams make the playoffs

Thoughts?

What a wonderful reply, Deacon. I really appreciate the thought you put into it.

I’d like to clarify a few of my predictions just for the record. I may not have expressed myself as well as I could.

The ‘best 5’ on the OL is complicated. Coach Wendell will have to make several key decisions, won’t he? I agree that Jackson might be straight up a better LOT than Boom, especially considering Boom’’s injury history. But I also think that the lineup I suggested is the ‘best 5’ with Boom at LOT. The upgrades of Jackson at LG and Avila at OC more than offset the possible slight downgrade at LOT, imo. Time will tell if my projection is accurate. There’s certainly plenty of room for debate.

I feel pretty strongly that this is Higbee’s last year with Rams. I think McVay is going in a different (and better) direction at TE and in the future we will see better draft choices devoted to that room plus better coaching and scheming for those youngsters. I further think McVay was paying attention to the outstanding TE play throughout the playoffs and wants some of that for his Rams. It would be another sign of growth on McVay’s part to me. (Along with OL and ST emphasis).

About the WR battle. Yeah, Atwell and Skow are probably locks to make the team, but I was referring to the actual pecking order after Jefferson. Where will Nacua and now Johnson fit? Who will get the most snaps/targets after Jefferson? And how will McVay choose to attack certain D’s with these variously skilled WR’s? Lots of moving parts. Honestly, I’m kinda optimistic about Nacua and Johnson. Bottom line, just for one example, is that Atwell could wind up anywhere from #3 to #6 as WR this year. That was my point about fierce competition.

I agree with your suggestion that Morris must like Kendrick and Rochell more than the board does. Otherwise, there were tons of CB’s for them in this draft but they kept picking other positions. Actions always speak louder than words. I’m hoping that Morris was listening intently to advice from Lake and Pleasant on this topic.

I would be thrilled to see Morris’ D have a good year and see him hired as a HC elsewhere. Would be great for Rams on multiple levels.

Great discussion, man.

On the offensive Line I am not down on Boom as many are but if the Rams judge that Avlia & Bruss are the 2 best guards the I can see Jackson beating out Boom at LOT because he is a better run blocker. I don't disagree that it would be very interesting to see Avlia at center with Boom at LOT and Jackson at LG. I am just not sure the Rams want to put a rookie at center, especially one that is more experience at Guard. For once I think we have lots of good answers on the OLine and we will have some backups that are starter quality.

WR I feel pretty confident in the top 4 with Skow and Tutu splitting the 3 WR slot based on the situation. Puka could surprise and beat out Skow at some point. I agree that Tutu is "situational" which I define often taking snaps as the number 3 and in there in 4 WR sets. I know we took at KR/PR who's name I can't remember and if Tutu doesn't show up in camp I could see him traded and the UDFA KR/PR taking the number 6 slot. I am not really thrilled with our depth. Jefferson is an okay #2 probably rates in the lower half of #2 WR and Skow/Tutu is a downgrade from Jefferson as the #3. I suspect next year we will use a draft pick in the top 3 rounds to address this unless someone surprises us.

Anyway always enjoy your posts and opinions
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

A few things I’m now pretty sure of…

Rams43594June 01, 2023 08:50AM

Good write up. However......

NewMexicoRam228June 01, 2023 09:02AM

Re:Higbee

mtramfan226June 01, 2023 12:46PM

droopy139June 01, 2023 01:56PM

Florida_Ram127June 01, 2023 02:18PM

Merlin weighs in with his thoughts…

Rams43149June 01, 2023 03:21PM

My thoughts and reaction

Coy Bacon106June 01, 2023 06:04PM

David Deacon87June 02, 2023 04:45AM

Rams4366June 02, 2023 06:48AM

David Deacon53June 02, 2023 09:16AM

Rams4365June 02, 2023 10:01AM

AlbaNY_Ram81June 02, 2023 05:08AM

Rams4361June 02, 2023 06:13AM

joram55June 02, 2023 02:37PM

Rams4359June 02, 2023 05:28PM

How are you judging these things and it is not even training camp

ferragamo7958June 02, 2023 05:52PM

Re: How are you judging these things and it is not even training camp

Rams4370June 03, 2023 06:17AM