Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Coaches that teach

May 26, 2023 10:13AM
As a long-time captive of a TV antenna and network TV (I've made some tradeoffs to live where I do in Montana) and - three states away - being placed by the powers that be in the Seattle Seahawk viewing ares, I've watched a lot of Seahawk football.

One thing I've been impressed by is that Pete Carroll never stops teaching fundamentals. Take a look at his instructional videos on the Hawk tackle, based on Rugby technique.

In my view, at any level (and it applies to nearly everything I can think of) theaching, re-teaching, spending drill and practice time on the fundamentals never goes out of style. Even if for a review. Extreme case in point: US Navy Seals.

While the Rams were falling apart late on his watch, I cringed when Mike Martz said that his players were supposed to know the basics of how to play football when they arrived out of college - and he wasn't going to waste his time teaching them the basics. Remember when this board was agonizing over how he Rams kept missing tackles? I do. I followed the board but didn't post in those days, and I remember.

At the same time I watched the Seahawks put people on the ground - sometimes with a real whump. Sometimes the ball came loose.

I'm glad to see the Rams announce these changes - teaching and emphasizing the basics. I want to see fundamentally sound basic football from the Rams, particularly on D, this coming season.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Couple of things really encourage me about offseason changes…

Rams43181May 26, 2023 07:05AM

Re: Couple of things really encourage me about offseason changes…

LMU9366May 26, 2023 07:20AM

Re: Couple of things really encourage me about offseason changes…

den-the-coach61May 26, 2023 08:09AM

mtramfan36May 26, 2023 10:13AM

Ramsdude35May 26, 2023 10:50AM

The player personnel is still not good

Ram4life49May 26, 2023 10:52AM