Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My guess is the 6/1 date

May 16, 2023 07:17AM
Rams43
So why hasn't former Rams OLB Leonard Floyd signed with an NFL team yet?

[ramblinfan.com]

Bret Stuter

While former LA Rams veteran outside linebacker Leonard Floyd is not the only veteran who remains unsigned after parting ways with the Rams during this offseason, he is certainly the most curious player who is yet to be signed. After all, he is a veteran edge rusher who delivers at every role and responsibility at the position, and has done so despite shaking off the effects of various injuries suffered during the season.

Is it his level of production? Come on, it can't be that. Leonard Floyd has played three seasons for the LA Rams and averaged 9.7 sacks, 61 tackles, and 9.3 tackles for a loss, and 20 quarterback hits per season. Because he was released by the LA Rams, he will not burden any NFL team with a swollen overpaying contract. Best of all, he was a key contributor to the LA Rams team that won Super Bowl LVI, and he brings that experience with him to his next team.

So why hasn't OLB Leonard Floyd signed with an NFL team yet?

More questions that answers

There is still a market for veteran pass rushers. The Cleveland Browns were in the market, but opted to trade for Vikings pass rusher Za'Darius Smith. Smith was a former Pro Bowler, but he has been no better at getting to the quarterback than Floyd of late. And that acquisition of Smith cost the Browns two fifth-round draft picks. All I can say is... curious choice.

The Atlanta Falcons added OLB Bud Dupree. And the Cincinnati Bengals signed edge rusher Tarell Basham. While there may be specific details why each particular transaction was made by a team to address their need at outside linebacker, the aggregate effect is creating evidence that more is amiss than we may be aware. So which teams may be in the market for help at pass rusher?

The Buffalo Bills may need to shop for additional pass rush help with the latest update regarding the status of injured veteran OLB Von Miller. The Minnesota VIkings, who have just traded away Za'Darius Smith, might be in the market to backfill his roster spot. And there are always teams in pursuit of postseason play who would love to add someone who can get after opposing quarterbacks.

Does this open the door for the LA Rams to bring back Floyd? That is unlikely. But it does pose a lot of questions as to why nobody has scooped up a highly productive veteran like Leonard Floyd, particularly in light of the fact that so many former coaches from the Rams are now on the coaching staff of so many other NFL teams.

I suppose when the price is right, Leonard Floyd will sign. And when Floyd has had enough of sitting around for his price to be met, he will sign a contract with the best offer. Still, this situation is very puzzling, and will continue to be an enigma until Floyd signs with a new team.

My understanding is that Vet FAs signed after 6/1 don't count in the compensatory pick compensation formula. Floyd will play with someone but I figure it will be a post 6/1 deal .
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

So why hasn’t former Rams OLB Leonard Floyd signed with an NFL team yet?

Rams43371May 16, 2023 06:37AM

My guess is the 6/1 date

stlramz179May 16, 2023 07:17AM

Re: That's not it

AlbaNY_Ram168May 16, 2023 10:39AM

CROMWELL21154May 16, 2023 10:42AM

AlbaNY_Ram131May 16, 2023 11:30AM

Thanks for clarification from both of you. Nm.

stlramz102May 16, 2023 11:48AM

He played next to Donald

RantoulRam102May 17, 2023 05:12AM

Re: He played next to Donald BINGO!!! nm

Paco7064May 18, 2023 01:25AM

He was very productive with Rams 29 sacks in 3 years, 10th best in NFL

JimYoungblood5371May 18, 2023 02:55PM

My Guess?

Ramsdude208May 16, 2023 08:22AM

Re: My Guess?

Killrazor79May 17, 2023 11:42PM

Re: My Guess?