Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I don't think you understand McVay's mentality here Rock

May 01, 2023 08:37AM
His priority is always pass game threat. Always. So he would be more than willing, I believe, to go 12 sets on par with 11 if he had sufficient pass threat from his 12 set personnel.

It's an important distinction in this kind of conversation IMO.

So if in the draft he had managed to get his hands on Kincaid or LaPorta that would have been the change in personnel necessary to facilitate a pivot to 12. Because then he's got Higs & Long as his Y TE options. And the pass threat he requires at F to pull the extra wideout off the field. Because he is more than willing to use his WRs in that F role as we saw with Skow, and he just drafted Nacua who is a poor man's Kupp in that he's got sneaky ability to get open underneath as a big target.

What this means is that he's gonna see who is his best in that role, and it'll be called 11 if it's a combination of wideouts running those responsibilities. But we won't see him transition to 12 until he's got a smooth threat he requires that is good enough to pull a wideout off the field.

Could it happen this year? Well it is unlikely the draft pick, who has some nice raw ability, is going to be good enough year one for that. Maybe next year he can provide that and even then it's a longshot. No the guy who is our hope for this year is Hopkins, who has sufficient time fiddling around on this roster and learning the ropes and is in that window where he's going to need to put up or get cut. Chances of Hopkins stepping up... I have a hard time with that. I don't understand why he can't dress when our position has been weak over the recent past seasons, and Super Bowl/playoffs performance aside I wonder if the staff dislikes him or something. So idk. But our hope for a true 12 set spike is Higs & Hopkins.

Now some may mention Long there. But Long is not the guy McVay will require as a pass threat to pull a wideout off the field. He is Higs' replacement while they try again and again to hit on a TE which to be perfectly honest probably doesn't happen with this pick. The top TEs are always dawgs. This guy has nice potential but he's an accessory piece type not a steak dinner.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

The writing is on the wall: meet the Rams offense for 2023

RockRam439May 01, 2023 07:12AM

I'll hafta see it to believe it..

sstrams114May 01, 2023 07:23AM

Re: Remember Manning's play action?

mtramfan74May 01, 2023 08:25AM

I can't see a QB..

sstrams55May 01, 2023 09:04AM

And they have backs that match

JimYoungblood5394May 01, 2023 07:25AM

If McVay doesn’t run more 12 personnel sets this year, he’s really missing the bo

Rams4371May 01, 2023 07:51AM

Makes me wonder if Kyren Williams will see more time

NewMexicoRam80May 01, 2023 07:52AM

I don't think you understand McVay's mentality here Rock

merlin93May 01, 2023 08:37AM

Re: I don't think you understand McVay's mentality here Rock

Rams4358May 01, 2023 09:13AM

Last season was an outlier

merlin70May 01, 2023 09:26AM

Re: Last season was an outlier

Rams4350May 01, 2023 10:45AM

Re: Last season was an outlier