Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Merlin with some very pertinent overall draft goals…

April 26, 2023 03:31PM
Here’s Merlin…

So as it pertains to our roster I think there are some distinct directions we need to go if we want to turn this thing around quickly. In a few days' time hopefully we are looking at these additions and seeing that the following are areas we have improved significantly:

1. Physicality in the defensive front. AD can two gap and does it quite well but it's not ideal to have a guy like him doing that. We lost two 1T types who both anchor well on the interior in Gaines and Robinson. As things stand right now every team is going to put up 6+ ypc in the run game against this front. Rams desperately need physicality in this group, and that's even if Brown has a future which is not a certainty at this point.

2. Pass game threat. This is largely due to less than ideal returns on both Jefferson and Tutu. Jefferson has not been bad, but what we are going to require from him or Tutu this year is a big step forward where one of them serve as our #2 threat. We need some threats out there other than Kupp. Who is going to provide that. This could be accomplished by TE, WR, or RB, or ideally some combination of all three, but since we do have many needs the Rams probably need to be surgical and hit on one of them to give this offense a shot in the arm before they go back to stacking this defense.

3. Coverage / Pass Rush. Our corners have not been great, even going back to the Super Bowl run. The problems had already begun back there, they just were masked by incredible pass rush potency. And now of course we need both the rush and the coverage, both areas ideally need to be improved. Can they find a way to improve both? I think so, but there are many needs once again. Just like you see with physicality being important for matching up with the 49ers and Shehawks, we also are going to need guys who have coverage and ball skills to make 49er QBs hold the ball. So coming out of this draft ideally we see a boost to our rush and at least one corner added who can play outside the hash.

4. QB futures. Nobody wants to see the Rams "waste" a midround pick on a QB. But the truth is Stafford has some hard miles on him, and we have nothing behind him on that roster. They interviewed OConnell, Tune, and Hall. Probably some more besides. It's gonna happen and it needs to happen. And it comes down to getting McVay the guy he wants. Also and btw one thing McVay specifically mentioned is the leadership elements that are a natural part of the position. I think this is a big deal with QB. Older I get the more I think it's the mental resilience, competitiveness, and willingness to do the work that make guys succeed moreso than the measurables. Leadership too. Being comfortable out in front and running the guys. Some dudes just struggle with that, particularly when it's running grown ass men who are pros. You see that over and over with even some of these immature QBs like Wilson who in hindsight had zero chance of running the room. Hall seems like a guy who fits well there, to me at least. I think he's the guy, but I don't think the Rams get him, and either way here's hoping they find a QB we can enjoy in preseason.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2023 03:33PM by Rams43.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Merlin with some very pertinent overall draft goals…

Rams43418April 26, 2023 03:31PM

Re: Merlin knows his stuff

Ram4life120April 26, 2023 04:06PM

Rams Junkie212April 26, 2023 08:54PM

Ram4life90April 26, 2023 10:21PM

theme to me is immediate contributors

LMU9382April 27, 2023 03:40AM

Replacing Gains and Robinson is big

canadaram88April 27, 2023 07:52AM

*Gaines*