Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Agreed to an extent but

April 26, 2023 09:27AM
Sometimes players need to be put in the "right" scheme to fit their talents too. IMO, it goes both ways.

For example, some CB's are better "zone" guys, so putting them in a "man" oriented scheme might not be the best move.

How about players like Lamar Jackson. Does he need a certain scheme to be at his best? Of course he does. You don't put a scrambling QB in a scheme that calls for the QB to be in the pocket most of the time.

Same goes for LB'ers. Some are better "cover" guys so putting them in a scheme that expects them to be a pass rusher doesn't make sense.

So, IMO, you first need a coordinator than can identify his players "strengths" and adapt his scheme to accommodate them. The DC must be creative enough to adjust that scheme at will. The starting roster usually isn't the same by the end of the year so new faces bring new strengths and weaknesses. You can't just force the scheme on the player IMO.

This was one of things that worried me about Morris. He seems h3ll bent on running the same Ultra Soft Zone 95% of the time regardless of the players available to him. I saw very little creativity from Morris.

IMO, this might be one of the reasons McVay gutted the D and fired some of Morris's coaches and brought in guys that have a more "aggressive" track record.

So, what's more important? Good scheme or good players? Maybe it's a little of both combined with a group of coaches who can evaluate the players and use them correctly. beer cheer smiley

#HelmetHornsMatter

“Well, the color is good, I like the metallic blue,” Youngblood recently said while laughing, via NFL Journal. “The horn is terrible. It looks like a ‘C.’ When I first saw it on the logo I honestly thought it was a Charger logo.

“Now when I see it on the helmet, it just isn’t a ram horn. There is no distinct curl like a mature ram horn. I don’t know how the Rams could get that wrong. That is your symbol and it has been for what? Seventy years or more? Longer than I have been alive? It’s just not us, it’s not the Rams.”---Mr. Ram Jack Youngblood

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2023 10:06AM by Ramsdude.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

IMO...The Draft should be based on the style of D we play this year.

Ramgator213April 26, 2023 06:33AM

You raise an interesting point, gator….

Rams4366April 26, 2023 06:53AM

Re: Agree 43.....I'm for that!

oldschoolramfan54April 26, 2023 07:41AM

Imo the players dictate scheme success

Ram_Ruler77April 26, 2023 07:02AM

Re: This!! (nm)

AlbaNY_Ram51April 26, 2023 07:16AM

Re: This!! (nm)......Agree.

oldschoolramfan70April 26, 2023 07:47AM

If that's the case...Go after best available. BUT.....

Ramgator49April 26, 2023 08:09AM

Re: Imo the players dictate scheme success

Old Goat59April 26, 2023 08:17AM

Agreed to an extent but

Ramsdude55April 26, 2023 09:27AM

Physicality needs to be a theme in this draft

merlin143April 26, 2023 01:15PM