Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

McVay on Stafford: ‘First offseason in a long time’ where he’s actually feeling good…

April 03, 2023 07:38AM
McVay on Stafford: 'First offseason in a long time' that he's actually feeling good

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva

Matthew Stafford has. He’s missed time throughout his career, but considering the injuries he’s suffered and battled through, it’s impressive that he’s still started 191 of a possible 226 games.

When he arrived in Los Angeles in 2021, he revealed the list of injuries he played through in 2020 alone: partially torn UCL in his thumb, torn UCL in his elbow, broken rib cartilage, ankle sprain and a knee injury.

Needless to say, he wasn’t fully healthy going into his first year with the Rams, and he certainly wasn’t last year, either. He was limited throughout the offseason due to an injection in his elbow, not throwing at all in the spring workouts.

Fortunately for the Rams, Stafford is finally healthy, according to Sean McVay. During an interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio, McVay said this is the first offseason in awhile that Stafford is “actually feeling good.”

“I think just the competitor that he is,” McVay said of why Stafford wants to continue playing. “He loves the game, he loves to be able to go play, he loves to go compete and I think when you look at some of the things that he had to navigate through last year, he’s motivated to come back and respond and lead. That’s what he’s done for such a long period of time. He certainly elevates everybody that he’s around. I think this is the first offseason in a long time that he’s actually feeling good. He’s been able to throw, he’s been able to kind of start his rhythm and routine a little bit earlier than previous years. He’s got a good look in his eye and I’m glad he’s leading the way for us.”

Stafford suffered a spinal cord contusion last season and was also placed in the concussion protocol twice. There were questions about whether he would rather for his 15th NFL season, but those concerns are no longer because he’s committed to continuing his career.

McVay sounds confident in his quarterback and it sure is encouraging that Stafford’s already throwing after not doing so at all during OTAs and minicamp last year, so perhaps that’ll lead to a much more productive and successful 2023 campaign.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

McVay on Stafford: ‘First offseason in a long time’ where he’s actually feeling good…

Rams43160April 03, 2023 07:38AM

If true, this bodes very well for Rams O this year…

Rams4383April 03, 2023 07:49AM

Re: If true, this bodes very well for Rams O this year…

stlramz67April 03, 2023 10:56AM

Re: McVay on Stafford: ‘First offseason in a long time’ where he’s actually feeling good…

GroundPounder84April 03, 2023 08:12AM

Stafford's age? Bigger concerns

mtramfan67April 03, 2023 12:31PM