March 26, 2023 03:28PM
First off, thanks for the compliment. I just love the depth you bring into your mocks. I'll add my 2 cents for every pick. But this is hard to beat.

alyoshamucci
I know that the month leading up to the draft is all insanity and fake narrative, so I like to get this out of the way as soon as I'm done with Pro days. Then I get started on working on the individual rankings ...

Before I start, Deadpool's mock is more descriptive, and I'd be very happy with his. In fact, I wait until his comes out so I can challenge myself to build a list without including any of his players ... it's not easy. But, between the two of us, it should get everyone familiar with the players we've grown to like most over the year.

Also, I have to wait until it becomes en vogue for draft sites to do 4 round mocks so I get an idea of where guys are projected ... then I take my best guesses.

My style ... I draft "positions" and will give multiple options at each (except 1) spot.

I have players I liked that don't fit what we need or our scheme, and I'll try to at least mention them after.

Also, I'm trading the first pick. It's too likely and I believe we need the 4th rounder. If Q Johnston or Will McDonald are there I'd stay.

2) Edge Isaiah Foskey/F-A-Uzomah/Tuli Tuipulotu Note: I liked Tuli enough in LB drills to mock him as a stand up rusher. And? He's a monster of a leader. When a meeting was called to see if they wanted to play a covid wrecked game in bad weather ... He walked in and was the first and last to speak ... saying simply "Get your sh-- on, we're playing." Tuipulotu is a tricky one for me, explosive first step turning speed to power. But how athletic is he, never did testing at combine or pro day. If you think he is athletic enough to flourish on the edge, he is a 2nd rounder, if you don't, he is a 3rd round guy. I have him at 39 overall, so I think he can survive out there. Foskey is a favorite of mine, high IQ and character guy. Has great size at 6'-5" 258 with length (34" arms ) super athletic (he tested in the 68th percentile or better in everything but bench) with a 4.58 to boot. His production is nuts as well. Not just a workout warrior. 23 sacks the last 2 years with 65 QB pressures. He isn't the most bendy guy, but absolutely speed to power. The Vikings met with him and they run the same defense as the Rams (I think) so he fits. Lastly, Uzomah, comes from a Kleiman coached team, so he is coached well. Was schemed against all yeat this year and still got his numbers (43 pressures including 8 sacks his final season) He played exclusively from the right DE spot against LTs, I never saw him rush standing up. Great size at 6'-3" 255. Love his motor as well. It is never in idle. I'd go Foskey, Uzomah and Tuipulotu in that order. All good picks.

3) CB Julius Brents/Tyrique Stevenson/Clark Phillips we've met with Brents ... and his testing numbers are off the charts. The other two are physical football players that didn't test as well but I trust them at the position (Who on a normal year might be going in the first round). As far as meeting with Brents, he made a comment at either the Senior Bowl or Combine he met with every team, so thats where that comes from. I don't put a lot of stock in that comment. But he does fit what the Rams need in a CB. 6'-2" with 34" arms, he is ultra long. He has decent long speed, esp for his size. My only issue was that he needs to trust himself more, because he can play with anyone, but seemed to panic at times and got grabby. Phillips is a ballhawking undersized zone corner. At 5'-9". is he OK outside? Daruis Williams was only 5'-9" and he held more than his own. In the 3rd, I think he is a massive bargain, because I have him @ 25 overall on my bigboard. Stevenson is ranked really close to Brents. Great size and length, excellent long speed, question is, does he have the instincts to play zone. He's excellent in man. I'd go Phillips, Brents and Stevenson in that order. All good choices.

3) WR Andrei Iosevas/Marvin Mims/Rashee Rice One should make it to here. And I think we load up to replace Jefferson and Robinson in 2024 with a high ceiling player. The difference between Rice and Addison, Mims and Flowers, Iosevas and Johnston ... are minimal. Note: I know we have talked to Puka Nacua, who is likely also a possibility here. He's a plus route runner with a great work ethic and athleticism. He's our type. I have him off my draft board because of injuries. If we do draft him I'd rather it be later. I really like Rice and Iosevas in this grouping. I think Iosevas is this years Christian Watson, a size, speed freak with actual football ability. The Rams have no one on the roster like him. Rice has perfect size at 6' and 204. Almost 33" arms and can run a 4.51. He's an excellent athlete that had video game production this last year (96-1344-10) He can win deep, and is fluid enough to create separation. Super dangerous once the ball is in his hands. He would be a nice replacement for Woods. Mims is interesting, a tad undersized at 5'-11" and 183, but electric speed and is a very dangerous man in the open field. Mostly a deep threat at Oklahoma from what I saw, he has makeup to play inside as well and has returned punts as a bonus. He plays a physical brand of football, which is interesting for his size. I like Rice, Iosevas and Mims in that order.

4) From trade ... OC Oluwatimi. I don't have a backup for this pick. He's the Remington winner on the best O LIne in football. He's the 4th pure OC off the board. I like him, I actually have him as OC #3 behind Schmitz and Tippmann. I have a 3rd round grade on him, and a tad higher than Wypler. 7 sacks in 4 years of starting (4 were from his freshman season) No sacks given up last year. Super athletic, excellent power. He gets lungey at times and may be maxed out on size due to being 6'-2" This is a great pick again. Side note, Scruggs balled out at Penn States pro day and looks like a 4th to early 5th rounder now. OG/OC fit. I love his game, and in the 4th, it probably isn't a reach.

5) S Ji'ayir Brown/Brandon Hill/Daniel Scott One of these guys will be here, most likely Hill. Brown might go in the 3rd ... but I've seen him last as well. Daniel Scott and Hill are both plus athletes ... between the two I don't have a favorite. Brown apparently tested poorly at Penn States pro day, but he is a football player. 5th round seems right for him. He had 3 sacks and 3 ints this year, so he works against the run and pass. Ignore his testing and draft a tonesetter in the middle of the field. Hill is a guy I love as well. I have a 5th round grade on him. He's another high energy tone setter with more athletic ability than Brown, doesn't have the ball production though. I think he has the skillset to improve on that. Scott is a 6th rounder to me, gets caught chasing receivers too often, but has good ball skills, and is an absolute thumper. I'd go Brown, Hill and Scott. All fits and excellent choices IMO

5) TE Payne Durham/Will Mallory/Luke Schoonmaker Payne ran a 4.87 or he'd be a second or 3rd rounder. He's old school. Brute, can block and catch in traffic or down the field. Mallory is an athlete ... 4.54 40. Schoonmaker is "most improved" ... to be on my list, they have to "run angry" so they all have that desire to punish tacklers. They'll all have a year to chill likely ... Mallory will be a 6th round guy for me once I'm done with my rankings. He's OK, but I prefer my TEs a little more physical. He's a deep threat, but he offers nothing in pass blocking. Schoonmaker and Durham have TE 2 written all over them, with the upside to become TE 1s. Schoonmaker is a good route runner with natural hands and is excellent in pass protection. At 6'-5", I think he can add even more good weight and really become a 2 headed monster. Durham has been a favorite of mine for a long while now. I don't think Durham is the athlete Schoonmaker is, but again, he is a serious size mismatch and can run block. He also has good hands. I'd go Schoonmaker, Durham and Mallory in that order. I'd prefer to wait on Mallory.

5) Edge project Lonnie Phelps/BJ Thompson/Yaya Diaby These guys may not get this far down. They are in mocks, but their physical traits are off the charts and we tend to take shots on that in this range. Thompson has an 11-1 broad at 6-5 239. Who you pick in the 2nd at edge will determine what the 2nd edge will look like. I want complimentary types, Diaby has a 5th round grade from me, he didn't play like he tested, but he produced very good numbers last year. He can go speed to power, or just straight up power. I think he came into the combine way lighter than he played, so he could be more athletic going forward as long as he doesn't hurt his strength. Phelps is an undersized, super explosive speed to power rusher. Can he hold up in run defense. Thompson is a tough one for me, he lacks the bend needed to threaten the edge, and lacks the bulk to handle setting an edge against the run, esp considering he is 6'-6". I think he can make a roster, but he needs a good amount of work. Its Diaby, Phelps and Thompson in that order.

6) RB Camrun Peoples/Chris Rodriguez/Evan Hull/Tiyon Evans I'm looking at backs drafted late enough to not upset Akers, but who are legitimate possibilities to take lead back duties next year if needed. Rodriguez would be first here, but he had fumbling issues he had to clean up. Rodriguez wasn't used as a pass catcher and lacks long speed, but he is a physical RB with 3 down size, Evans, for his size isn't very physical and had fumbling issues. Not used much as a pass catcher. Peoples, I like, he's physical with good balance. Not much of a pass catcher or a HR hitter, but he'll consistantly get you yards. Hull won't grind out the tough yards, but is the best pass catcher from this group and is a good rotational back prospect. It would be Peoples, Evans, Rodrigues and Hull. This is where I'm personally drafting Luepke if I am waiting until the 6th round for a RB. But these are all targets that fit and should be available.

6) CB2 Corey Trice/Darrell Luter/Cameron Mitchell Long athletic CBs that will likely get lost in a larger quality class and slide. This is where they're generally ending up in mocks, so I feel safe mocking them here. We met with Trice at Purdue's pro day, where he had incredible agility #s. Trice feels like a cover 3 type or a safety convert. That said, I like his game, good tackler with decent ball production. I think he could really be a chess piece in the right scheme. Luter is a favorite, he has few holes outside of level of competition. Good size, fairly smooth and athletic and excellent ball skills. I wish he was more physical. Mitchell is a little handsy for me, but plays with a physical style I like and can run with almost anyone. Limited ball production. I'd go Luter over Trice due to fit and then Mitchell. I like the DB depth in this draft.

7) LB Dee Winters/Ivan Pace/SirVocea Dennis/Charlie Thomas Undersized playmakers that can cover and make plays. Any of these guys fit for the reasons you mentioned plus add ST value. Pace is instinctual with a high rev motor, he added 11 sacks last year as the cherry on top. If he is kept clean, he will do damage all over the field. 9 sacks for Winters and everything I said about Pace stands for Winters as well. Dennis had 11 sacks and again, good instincts, violent hitter with a big motor. I think he is the best pass defender in this group. I think he could add some size to his 6' frame. Thomas is more of a box safety than a LBer, but he can cover and is aggressive in the box. I'd go Dennis/Winters/Pace/Thomas, but really, those top 3 are interchangeable.

7) QB Max Duggan/Clayton Tune/Bagent ... I hope Duggan and Tune last. DTR is an option here, but I don't think he can handle multiple games. I have Haener long gone. Not much to add here, we are on the same page. Just don't give me Bennett. Undersized kid with poor judgement, I have zero interest in him. Bagent is growing on me bigtime. Duggan just seems like a winner.

I think we'll pick up DTs after the draft. Drafting a RB may not be necessary if we want a better shot at landing a better backup QB. There will be undrafted players coming here, regardless because of how many vacancies we have.

I'm eyeballing UDFA for OG Jonathan Gwyn of SC, OG Caleb Chandler of LOU, OG Bainivalu of UW, and Alex Forsyth of Oregon. In most lists these guys are out of the top 250. I have Bainivalu in round 5. Forsyth should get drafted I think as well.

I want Nikko Remigio of Fresno State to return kicks and punts.

I like guys like Jarrod Clark and Quan Martin a lot, but don't think they're scheme fits. I also think Ronnie Bell is criminally underrated. Another note ... I don't know where Riley Moss goes, but Ive seen him around in the 5th round and that is criminal. Moss should be no later than a 4th rounder, but what do I know. I love his fit for the Rams.

Okay, there we go. Questions and comments welcome.

I like how you went hard at the defense, esp CB and Edge. You found actual football players throughout and for the most part avoided guys that were strictly workout warriors. The majority of these guys are high IQ, high character types as well. Which, IMO, lowers the bust factor. I find it hard to argue against any pick in this mock or your thought process. Just a very exciting mock draft. Excellent work as usual.

Don't waste your time looking back, you're not going that way. - Ragnar Lothbrok
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Blinkscout Final Mock draft 2023

alyoshamucci912March 25, 2023 09:45AM

I trust you more than the PFF simulator by they hate it Attachments

JimYoungblood53237March 25, 2023 10:21AM

Results of 4 simulators-- Attachments

JimYoungblood53278March 25, 2023 11:14AM

Those mock drafts are based on people using them

JimYoungblood53112March 25, 2023 12:00PM

Re: Those mock drafts are based on people using them

alyoshamucci128March 25, 2023 12:14PM

After work, will do some more--I just discover the others ones today

JimYoungblood53126March 25, 2023 12:21PM

Need a K and P

BigGame81105March 25, 2023 12:50PM

Re: Need a K and P

alyoshamucci146March 25, 2023 12:51PM

Matt Araiza NOT charged. Bad PR, but AWESOME punter

stlramz212March 25, 2023 02:34PM

Re: Blinkscout Final Mock draft 2023

farley112March 25, 2023 12:52PM

4.52 is a really good time for him.

alyoshamucci192March 25, 2023 12:56PM

Re: Blinkscout Final Mock draft 2023

Islander Ram132March 25, 2023 01:25PM

Iosevas vs McCutcheon

alyoshamucci141March 25, 2023 01:46PM

Hadn't thought of that

JimYoungblood53172March 25, 2023 02:53PM

Difference between 36 and 44-48

alyoshamucci139March 25, 2023 04:25PM

Would love McDonald but kind of a pipe dream on my part

JimYoungblood53111March 25, 2023 05:30PM

Re: Would love McDonald but kind of a pipe dream on my part

alyoshamucci100March 26, 2023 06:33AM

I would think they are drafting one specilast.

den-the-coach93March 26, 2023 07:08AM

Fangio's scheme calls for both OLBers to cover Attachments

JimYoungblood53106March 26, 2023 07:54AM

Re: Fangio's scheme calls for both OLBers to cover

alyoshamucci178March 26, 2023 09:01AM

Rams do run that vs 49ers and Titans

JimYoungblood53162March 26, 2023 11:09AM

Re: Rams do run that vs 49ers and Titans

alyoshamucci167March 26, 2023 11:15AM

one example Attachments

JimYoungblood53110March 26, 2023 11:27AM

Re: one example

alyoshamucci155March 26, 2023 11:54AM

surprise 2nd rounders

LMU93128March 26, 2023 12:00PM

Re: surprise 2nd rounders

alyoshamucci121March 26, 2023 01:16PM

to trade down or not trade down

LMU9375March 27, 2023 04:21AM

Re: to trade down or not trade down

alyoshamucci70March 27, 2023 04:47AM

I like one trade down, from 26 to mid 40s

JimYoungblood5364March 27, 2023 07:58AM

I have Branch as 6-0 195

alyoshamucci86March 27, 2023 08:27AM

okay, I don't know enough about it I got it from Blaine Attachments

JimYoungblood5396March 27, 2023 09:58AM

Re: surprise 2nd rounders

BigGame8190March 26, 2023 01:19PM

I don'tthink so--but can hold out hope

JimYoungblood5387March 26, 2023 02:38PM

this is really, really good

Deadpool143March 26, 2023 03:28PM

had to trade to get the groceries - but filled it Attachments

JimYoungblood53167March 26, 2023 03:56PM

Luter seems like a Rams pick

BigGame81106March 26, 2023 04:06PM

To be sure of the center had to take early Attachments

JimYoungblood53203March 26, 2023 04:23PM

This is only 3/26, I think you will post other mock drafts.

ramzilla101March 26, 2023 06:27PM

Re: This is only 3/26, I think you will post other mock drafts.

Rampage2K-89March 26, 2023 08:20PM

Re: This is only 3/26, I think you will post other mock drafts.

alyoshamucci128March 27, 2023 04:25AM

Tuli

merlin91March 27, 2023 09:31AM

Luepke runs a 4.56 and jumps 36 inches at 235 lbs.

alyoshamucci110March 29, 2023 11:55AM

Re: Luepke runs a 4.56 and jumps 36 inches at 235 lbs.

fullcurl63March 30, 2023 06:41AM

alyoshamucci73March 30, 2023 06:47AM

fullcurl63March 30, 2023 06:57AM