Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Plan B started it and I didn't really like it then

March 23, 2023 11:33AM
OzRam
I loved the continuity of the old pre Free Agency. However, it certainly helps make each year more interesting with any given team being able with some wise signings to become relevant.

But the free market pricing for some positions is what gets me when there is indeed a hard cap that can be spent.

If a star player wants to be paid $50m a year and consume near 20-25% of all available money...... they also can't complain when their team doesn't have enough good players or quality depth.

To me, there should be a max amount that could be spent on say a position or as a multiple of the lowest paid.

I can understand players wanting to maximise their value too, but to me the question is when is enough, enough value gained and what's also important is having other quality players on my team to be able to compete.

If AD, Stafford and Kupp, all reduced their total pay this year, they would all still be fantastically well paid (exorbitantly compared to most other jobs) and they could field a more competitive team.

I also don't get the, well they only play 3...5... 9 years. Sure, but most people don't expect to work 5 years and be set for life!

Just spitballing, especially as I know I'm actually the mug supporting this system eith my annual game pass subscription!!

Don't take me too seriously!!

You seem to be placing a lot of the onus on the players.

Why is that?

I ask because the players are merely operating within the system established by the owners. These billionaire owners have decided to operate with a hard salary cap in order to: A) keep costs down (i.e. increase their profit margins); and, B ) to promote league-wide parity. As such, teams/players/fans will always need to contend with these financial issues.

Now, if the owners wanted to, they could gather at their next annual meeting and vote to abolish the salary cap. MLB doesn't have a salary cap and I don't hear any complaints about that. The NBA has a "soft" salary cap whereby teams could bypass it if they wanted to (but would likely have to pay significant luxury taxes).

As a Rams fan, I can guarantee that you'd love it if the salary cap was eliminated. So would Cowboy fan.

Charger fan? Not so much.

The complaints that you (and others) have attributed to the players in this regard...

They could very well be eliminated by the owners simply eliminating the salary cap. If the Spanos' can't compete in such a free market, they don't have to - simply sell the team to someone who can/will.

But why you seem to hold the players accountable for this situation and leave the owners off the hook is beyond me.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

DeShaun Watson was an IDIOTIC standard that cannot be used for future QBs.

Ramgator228March 23, 2023 10:02AM

Plan B started it and I didn't really like it then

OzRam130March 23, 2023 10:29AM

AD could DONATE a couple hundred grand to play and he's set for life.

Ramgator63March 23, 2023 10:58AM

I don't care. It's a free country.

NewMexicoRam78March 23, 2023 11:12AM

Re: Plan B started it and I didn't really like it then

ramBRO72March 23, 2023 11:33AM

Always thought there should be Max salary for player, percentage that is

JimYoungblood5366March 23, 2023 12:25PM

Owners are 'colluding' to make sure it's not

promomasterj95March 23, 2023 11:03AM

Re: Owners are 'colluding' to make sure it's not

ramBRO114March 23, 2023 11:48AM

Is it considered 'colluding' if every other owner just thinks the Browns are stupid?

RantoulRam75March 24, 2023 08:18AM