Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Netflix "The Watcher" (spoilers)

October 24, 2022 07:49AM
I can't find it, but I thought there was a thread where this series was mentioned? I thought I sensed some trepidation in a post about potentially supernatural events (maybe I mis-read), and the story sounded familiar so I looked up some articles. The series is "based on a true story".

As you might suspect, "based on a true story" allows for a lot of leeway.

Basically, the only part of the story that is true are the letters. The Braddus family bought the house in 2014, and before they even moved in received the first of four letters that got progressively creepy and threatening. They actually never moved into the house, so anything in the movie that happened to them in the house... never actually happened. No reports of anyone murdered in the house, much less of Dad talking with the murderer. The letters suggested that The Watchers father and grandfather had been watching the house since the '20s, but the only other letter ever received was by the previous owners, shortly before they sold it. However, they had lived in the house for 23 years with no history of letters.

The letters did contain some personal information, but nothing that couldn't have been obtained through normal knowledge of the neighborhood. Mrs. Braddus stated in a deposition that anyone in town could have written the letters.

No one was ever caught. Suspects ranged from neighbors to Mrs. Braddus herself (DNA tests ruled her and the most suspicious neighbor out). Police felt that the profile most likely fit an older woman who lived nearby, but said that short of a DNA match or confession it was unlikely that the case would ever be solved, and the perpetrator probably wouldn't face very severe legal consequences even if caught.

The letters were definitely very creepy and disturbing, and no doubt traumatizing and expensive to the Braddus family. However, there is NO supernatural element to the story behind the Netflix series. What it really shows is that there are some very sick people in world.

Some stories, if you are curious....

[time.com]

[www.msn.com]

[www.nbcnewyork.com]

[www.menshealth.com]

Aries
~Sign of the Rams
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Netflix "The Watcher" (spoilers)

Aries173October 24, 2022 07:49AM

Thought you meant the Dean Kootz book at first...

JamesJM93October 24, 2022 08:34AM

Another movie, 'Moonfall'...

JamesJM79October 24, 2022 08:49AM

Re: Another movie, 'Moonfall'...

Aries108October 24, 2022 09:09AM

This quote from you is brilliant...

JamesJM92October 24, 2022 09:20AM