September 22, 2022 11:37AM
JamesJM
Panzer Kaserne, near Stuttgart, Germany for his sons, my grandson's football game. He just exited the Chunnel... two day drive from his home in England.

That's one hell of a distance!

Makes me envious... I was stationed in Heidelberg, (now closed). Rambeau knows it well. I drove down to Stuttgart often during the two years I lived in Germany... had a few friends stationed there. What I remember most were the stops along the way in the Black Forest for a 'cool one' and the bars that must have taken 100 carpenters 20 years to carve. laughing smiley

You ain't lived until you've had a weisswurst and a lager in the Black Forest. Knowing my son and his penchant for German sausage and beer he may not make it to the game. laughing smiley

Do they put their car on a ferry in order to cross the English channel? We were stationed at Nellingen Army barracks just outside Stuttgart back in the 60's. I was just a kid but I loved our time there. We lived in a 3-bedroom apartment on the 3rd floor in barracks just like these for 3 years. I still remember our address was building 17, stairwell A, apartment 6. The base has been torn down. My brother had a chance to go back and visit in the late 70's before it was "returned to mother Earth".

Frank just explained to me that there's a tunnel under the English Channel so you can drive your car from England to mainland Europe. I had NO idea. That explains it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2022 11:54AM by MamaRAMa.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Tracking my son on his way to...

JamesJM165September 22, 2022 10:48AM

Re: Tracking my son on his way to...

MamaRAMa96September 22, 2022 11:37AM

You drive onto a train, then thru the Chunnel....

JamesJM102September 22, 2022 12:14PM

Re: You drive onto a train, then thru the Chunnel....

MamaRAMa107September 22, 2022 02:27PM

Yes, the bases are fading quickly..... Interesting article!

JamesJM92September 22, 2022 02:59PM

Very good news and surprised to learn my son's route...

JamesJM82September 23, 2022 05:09AM