Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

You drive onto a train, then thru the Chunnel....

September 22, 2022 12:14PM
Obviously there is no 'view'. laughing smiley You can exit your car to use the restrooms... or just stand outside your car if you want but it's just the bare inside of a train car. It's a very short ride.

I do not remember Nellingen.... although it was certainly there while I was in Germany. One friend lived at Kelley Barracks, the other at Panzer... then a few friends I made while in Germany were on the main Stuttgart base but I can't recall the actual name - perhaps you remember?

My base in Heidelberg closed shortly after I last visited. It was similar to Stuttgart in that there were several barracks, Kaserne's, not connected to the main Campbell Barracks. My son was born in the same hospital in which Patton died... just south of Campbell Barracks.

As far as location, Mama... my time in Germany was the best of my life. I loved it there. I think I posted some years back that I was a computer repairman, (nothing like today's computers), and could only work on Govt. owned computers... and Heidelberg had none; they were all leased. Eventually I did work on them... but 'off the record'... so for the most part I was free all day to do whatever. My wife and I traveled a LOT... every weekend for sure and often for an entire week at a time.. France, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Italy.... we saw most of Europe.

Mostly we loved Bavaria the most... and visited there most often - but of course always managed to hop into Italy each time.

I was not the Historian back then that i am today..... so I failed to visit a lot of famous place... for example, I never visited Hitler''s home or Eagles nest in Bavaria... although I was minutes away many times. I did visit many castles.

While there I fell in love with the Culture.... and the food and drink, and LOVED the festivals. To this day I miss it all, especially the Christmas Markets!

I took my entire family to Europe back in 2007... visiting several countries... and all of them fell in love with Germany as well. laughing smiley
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Tracking my son on his way to...

JamesJM166September 22, 2022 10:48AM

Re: Tracking my son on his way to...

MamaRAMa97September 22, 2022 11:37AM

You drive onto a train, then thru the Chunnel....

JamesJM102September 22, 2022 12:14PM

Re: You drive onto a train, then thru the Chunnel....

MamaRAMa107September 22, 2022 02:27PM

Yes, the bases are fading quickly..... Interesting article!

JamesJM92September 22, 2022 02:59PM

Very good news and surprised to learn my son's route...

JamesJM82September 23, 2022 05:09AM