September 03, 2022 04:33AM
My sister has been researching the genealogy of our family for the last 25 years. She has so much information, it makes my head swim. Unfortunately, she doesn't have it put together in a form that can be distributed to the rest of the family so that it will make sense to the rest of us. Every now and then she'll post some census document, newspaper clipping, birth certificate, marriage license, property deed, etc but it's random and I can't keep all the names and family relationships straight. The kicker for us is... a skeleton rattled its bones for us last year when we found out that the man we had always been told was my father's father... was not his father. There was a prominent family in our city whom we've known and been friends with for 75 years. The patriarch of THAT family was my dad's father. The other family members knew the truth and my dad, grandmother, and other now dead family members knew the truth. But we kids never did. We wondered why they always referred to us as "Cuz". A lot of families call their close friends cousins even when they're not related so we didn't think much of it. Anyhow, my dad knew my sister was doing all this genealogy research for years and he never said a word so all this time, she's been barking up the wrong tree researching people who really aren't in our "blood" family tree.. At my age, I can't view that family as family. For me, it doesn't matter what the DNA tests say. I grew up with the knowledge that certain people in my life were my family and certain people were friends of the family and that's the way it is even now. Nothing has changed. Just how i feel about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2022 04:46AM by MamaRAMa.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Genealogy, any of you ever tinker with it?

JamesJM101August 30, 2022 05:56AM

My wife does...

Aries75September 03, 2022 03:59AM

Re: Genealogy, any of you ever tinker with it?

MamaRAMa77September 03, 2022 04:33AM

Re: Genealogy, any of you ever tinker with it?

txramfan102September 03, 2022 05:48AM

So does my wife

waterfield99September 03, 2022 07:56AM

My grandparents named changed when they got to Ellis Island

ferragamo79134September 03, 2022 02:09PM