Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I'm apprehensive: DUNE reviews are coming in

September 03, 2021 04:53PM
I read the book because a good friend recommended it to me years earlier. Like James, it was ok. Then I saw the Lynch film, which I really, really liked. It became my most favorite movie. Since then I've read the book several times and I've always really enjoyed it each time.

I've also read the 2nd book in the book series but it was not as good as the first. I started the third book but it was so bad I didn't finish it. It got too metaphysical and silly.

I've also watched the two three-part mini-series, Dune and Children of Dune. I didn't find them as good as Lynch's work but they added book details that were not in the movie.

The only thing that bothers me about this new Dune film is that Tim Chalamet plays Paul. My feeling from reading the book is that Paul was a physically fit young man, Chalamet is a skinny runt and not believeable to me to be the Paul that the book represents. I'm having trouble accepting that. It's like those trite action films where a skinny chick knocks out 5 special forces guys without breaking a sweat.

I do intend to see it in a theater but my expectations are low. Even the dialog in the trailers lacks style and has a Marvel-like feel.

Sorry if I'm a downer for anyone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2021 04:53PM by Coy Bacon.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

DUNE reviews are coming in

IowaRam119September 03, 2021 01:55PM

Did you like the book?

JamesJM80September 03, 2021 03:30PM

Same here probably

IowaRam103September 03, 2021 05:03PM

I'm apprehensive: DUNE reviews are coming in

Coy Bacon71September 03, 2021 04:53PM