Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hey Ramgator: This May (Or May Not) Make You Feel Better About Attending Games At "The Swamp" This Year

August 12, 2021 12:49PM
ramBRO
Ramgator

<snipped>

Buble is in the 12,000 seat Arena. Allen is the old Florida Theater (Much smaller venue)

AWWWWWWWW HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLL NAWWWWWWWWWW!!!

I'm sorry, but you couldn't pay me to attend (what I'm assuming to be) a well-attended indoor event in a state/county with increasing infection rates coupled with low vaccination numbers. The last concert I attended was Mariah Carey in mid-February 2020 @ Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas. Concert was cool, but there's no way I'd do it again under current conditions in Vegas (despite their recent indoor mask order).

To be honest, I just don't know for sure if it matters if it's inside or outside.

This will be interesting to see what happens. Last week, Chicago hosted Lollapalooza that saw over 100K fans attend (each day) at the outdoor park. Guests had to show proof of vaccination or a negative 72-hour Covid test result in order to be allowed entry (LOL! OOOOOOOkay!).

On Sunday, the Raiders new digs (Allegiant Stadium) hosted their first major event with fans - a U.S. v Mexico soccer match that was attended by 65K fans. Allegiant Stadium is, of course, a completely indoor facility. With the new mask order in Vegas, fans were required to wear masks (but didn't have to show proof of vaccination or negative tests). I saw portions of the match on TV and, suffice to say, NO ONE was wearing their mask as they screamed at the top of their collective lungs.

Waiting to see if one (or both) of these events will turn out to be a Delta super-spreader. Wouldn't want anyone from either event to come over to my house for a brew that's for sure.

The Chicago Department of Public Health Director provided an update today on Covid cases connected to the Lollapalooza music festival that was held July 29th - August 1st. I'd started keeping an eye on this event in light of the thread you initiated. I've posted the link to the Director's comments so you can hear them directly from her (she did a good job detailing how they got their numbers), but here are a couple of the major points:

1) This was a major music festival that attracted over 385K fans (mostly young people) over the 4-day event.
2) It was held outdoors.
3) Concert-goers had to show proof of vaccination or proof of negative Covid test result within the last 72 hours of event in order to gain admittance.
4) There was no mask mandate for the event.

5) Health officials estimated that approximately 88% of the concert attendees were vaccinated.
6) Of the 385K concert-goers, the Chicago Department of Health has recorded only 203 people as testing positive for Covid-19 post-event.
7) Based upon the numbers cited in 5 and 6, they estimate that 127 (4 people for every 10K) of those who tested positive were vaccinated, while 76 (16 for every 10K) were not.
8) One last important note (I think)...at least 13 of the concert-goers who tested positive report attending the event on or the day after they started experiencing symptoms. In essence, these people were sick (likely with Covid) and still decided to attend the concert - potentially infecting others.

NBC Chicago

My thoughts:

1) I suspect that the number of reported cases (203) is underreported taking into account that most concert-goers were young people - many of whom are not likely to exhibit any symptoms.

2) I believe that officials are overestimating the % of those attendees who were fully vaccinated. Again, considering the crowd we're talking about here (young people)...I just find that hard to believe. No proof on my part...just hard to believe.

3) With 1 and 2 said, though...I would have anticipated hearing more about Lollapalooza being a super-spreader event, if in fact it was. I attribute this to be because: A) the event was held outdoors; and, B ) most (though not 88%) of the attendees were, in fact, vaccinated and that some (maybe 25%) of those showing proof of a negative 72-hour test result were actually truthful with their paperwork.

4) Were university officials to take a stand and mandate proof of vaccination at UF home games, I believe that you (as a vaccinated person) should feel safe in attending them.

5) Haven't seen any published data yet on whether or not the Covid vaccines help to diminish the body odor or heat stroke generated in a hot and humid stadium packed with rabid college football fans.

6) Haven't read anything yet on that soccer match held in Vegas the same time as Lollapalooza. Could be one of those things that "stays in Vegas."
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Will be shocked if the Wife and I make the Michael Buble concert next week. COVID!

Ramgator231August 03, 2021 11:49AM

My wife..

sstrams110August 03, 2021 11:53AM

Re: Will be shocked if the Wife and I make the Michael Buble concert next week. COVID!

MamaRAMa169August 03, 2021 12:15PM

DeSantis wouldn't like that

RamUK134August 03, 2021 11:01PM

Amen.....

roman18119August 04, 2021 04:06AM

He could do better but if you need a Politician to make common sense choices...

Ramgator107August 04, 2021 09:21AM

Are The Concerts Indoors...Or Out?

ramBRO115August 03, 2021 12:23PM

Both are indoors.

Ramgator198August 03, 2021 01:31PM

Re: Both are indoors.

ramBRO110August 03, 2021 02:22PM

Hey Ramgator: This May (Or May Not) Make You Feel Better About Attending Games At "The Swamp" This Year

ramBRO146August 12, 2021 12:49PM

I'm hearing the worst may have peaked here in Florida.

Ramgator82August 12, 2021 03:41PM

I work at a college and back in person

ferragamo79110August 04, 2021 10:05AM

so concerts are reopening and I saw this

ferragamo79104August 05, 2021 06:06PM

Was my Brother's first concert in November 1976. The show is Jacksonville...

Ramgator112August 09, 2021 11:24AM

I saw the Destroyer tour in '76

sstrams87August 09, 2021 11:51AM

I can't do it, man...

sstrams172August 09, 2021 11:57AM

I'm spot on with ya on this.

Ramgator100August 10, 2021 05:28AM

Speaking of egos!!! I wish I had never seen the documentary on The Eagles.

Ramgator107August 10, 2021 05:35AM

Paul Stanley is a horse's...

sstrams204August 10, 2021 07:43AM

Been moved up to 28 October.

Ramgator106August 09, 2021 11:20AM