Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How Many Of You Are On Facebook?

July 30, 2021 07:06AM
And I don't mean just having an account...but are actively on the platform (i.e. 3 - 5 times per week)?

I have an account, but have only logged in 2 or 3 times in the last 7 - 8 years (none in the last 5). And to be transparent, it's the only social media platform I belong to (i.e. no twitter...no instagram...no TikTok...no nothin').

I ask because I've read, yet another, article about a family dealing with the very harsh reality of a Covid infection. You know the ones I'm talking about, right? The ones where someone: made a conscious decision not to get vaccinated; got infected; got hospitalized; progressed/regressed to more and more oxygen to breathe; and, now wishes they had gotten vaccinated (all the while hospital bills for the ICU are racking up with no guarantee of survival)?

Well, the thing that I've noticed to be common in all of these articles is that people are reading "things" on social media (like Facebook) to inform themselves about Covid-19 and vaccination. I put the word "things" in quotes because that's how it these folks are phrasing it: I read (or was told about) something regarding Covid/vaccines on Facebook...Twitter...Insta. And it seems as though the reporter has to pry this info out of the patient/family as though they (patient/family) are kinda embarrassed over it. I mean...I haven't seen a situation where any of these people have said that they declined the vaccine because their personal doctor advised against it. Maybe there are because of deficiencies in one's immune system, but not for most folks.

Now, I can understand belonging to a social platform in order to have a connection with many others outside of your typical circle or even to have a sense of belonging with others who share your own views on something (i.e. sports, politics, social issues, etc.).

But I thought that medical information/advice was supposed to be highly individualized and personal...so much so that you're best off speaking with your private physician (the one you actually go to see in person) about such stuff? I, personally, did not have to seek out MY doctor's advice on vaccination - he sent me (and likely all of his patients) an email strongly recommending it to me when I became eligible to receive it. Because I have this individualized and personal relationship with MY doctor, I didn't seek out the opinions of Dr. Phil, Dr. Oz, Dr. Julius Michael Hibbert, Dr. Nick Riviera, or even Professor Frink.

When did social media usurp this role for one's own treating physician? Better yet...why do people allow social media to usurp the role of their own treating physician?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2021 07:20AM by ramBRO.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

How Many Of You Are On Facebook?

ramBRO147July 30, 2021 07:06AM

Re: How Many Of You Are On Facebook?

MamaRAMa82July 30, 2021 07:27AM

I'm on FB all the time..

sstrams110July 30, 2021 08:21AM

Yes and no....

JamesJM144July 30, 2021 02:13PM

Re: Yes and no....

ramBRO113July 30, 2021 02:30PM

No, what I meant was....

JamesJM76July 30, 2021 02:47PM

Re: No, what I meant was....

ramBRO104July 30, 2021 02:59PM

Dude, affirmation is deadly..

sstrams106July 30, 2021 03:03PM

Of course not, how could you know that? :)

JamesJM107July 30, 2021 03:16PM

Re: How Many Of You Are On Facebook?

txramfan123July 30, 2021 05:40PM