Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I've never missed watching an Indy 500 with my Dad... except two

May 29, 2021 04:06PM
My Dad passed away in 2005.... but we still watch every Indy 500 together. My Dad wasn't much of a sports fan... except for the Indy and Boxing. He eventually kind of cheered the Rams because of me.... but he didn't watch any game unless it was the playoffs... he preferred driving around his cotton fields to see how the cotton was doing.

The two I missed watching with my Dad - 1991... because I went to the Indy live. In 1992 and 1992 I forced my Dad to leave his ranch to go to the Indy with me.

Also in 1971. I was in Germany. Bunch of us guys in the barracks bought cases and cases of beer and were set to listen to the Indy on the Armed Forces Network Radio. Just as the race was about to start, in our barracks third floor room, we heard fireworks going off. We were proud the Army would celebrate the Indy with such a patriotic display of fireworks. BUT... the intercom came on and told us to take cover immediately... we were under attack by machine gun fire. Back then a couple of 'gangs' were attacking American military bases. So from the large window in the room we hit the floor and low crawled into the center section of the barracks where the showers were, and where the bullets couldn't get too. Once inside, and having begun hitting the beer quite early, we sat huddled together..... soon realizing we had forgotten the beer. That meant one of us had to go back into the room, where the bullets COULD get too, and retrieve the beer. We played odd man out, (two fingers or one), until one guy was left. It wasn't me. I stayed safe and protected in the showers while a friend went back to the room and got the beer... which he did to our praise. Ahh the good ole' days.

So anyway... tomorrow's the Indy... love it.... and you bet, My Dad and I will be watching together. - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

I've never missed watching an Indy 500 with my Dad... except two

JamesJM204May 29, 2021 04:06PM

sounds like my father

21Dog101May 30, 2021 03:40AM

I worked the parking lot at the Olympic

waterfield120May 30, 2021 11:53AM

Re: I worked the parking lot at the Olympic

21Dog194May 30, 2021 04:10PM

I don't remember him...

JamesJM63May 30, 2021 06:54PM

Re: I worked the parking lot at the Olympic