Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: DOJ won't ask about employees' vaccine status

May 18, 2021 03:48PM
CeeZar
[thehill.com]

DOJ won't ask about employees' vaccine status as federal government goes maskless
BY REBECCA BEITSCH - 05/17/21 09:27 AM EDT 155

The Department of Justice (DOJ) won’t ask about employees’ vaccination status even as vaccinated employees have been given the green light to go maskless in the agency's buildings.

The Friday memo obtained by The Hill warns managers not to ask whether employees have been vaccinated. The new policy, however, is a departure from DOJ guidance in February that said employers have the right to ask employees about their status.

“Supervisors and managers should not ask about an employee’s vaccination status or use information about an employee’s vaccination status to make decisions about how and when employees will report to a workplace instead of teleworking,” DOJ told employees in a Friday email from the office of DOJ’s assistant attorney general for administration.

The policy comes shortly after the federal government said vaccinated employees could start going maskless indoors following new guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

But the email shows DOJ is grappling with the same COVID-19 policy questions as other workplaces and is taking a more restrained approach than what the law allows.

DOJ’s February guidance set out guidelines for asking employees whether they have been vaccinated as well as how to track that information.

DOJ’s various offices “should strongly consider policies that encourage vaccination and continue to consider alternative work options for unvaccinated employees,” the agency said at the time.

Managers “should have a valid business reason for requesting this information,” DOJ wrote, noting that they should not ask why an employee declines the vaccine as “such questions could elicit information about health or disability.”

“Inquiring about an employee’s vaccine status for business purposes does not likely implicate discriminatory issues,” the agency said.

The agency can track who has had the vaccine but the lists “should be maintained in secure administrative or management files ... and [be] accessible only to component personnel who need this tracking information to perform their job duties.”

The memo notes that mandatory vaccination policies are lawful and that the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission allows employers to require a vaccine once it is generally available.

DOJ, like many other agencies, has not yet adjusted their telework policies and many employees are still working from home.

DOJ did not immediately respond to a request for comment Monday about its new policy.

Target joins other major retailers in ending mask mandate for...
70 percent of white-collar workers in US still working remotely:...
Friday’s email does note that employees who would like to continue wearing masks may do so.

“As we go forward, we ask everyone to respect the wishes of our colleagues and visitors and ensure that anyone who chooses to continue wearing a mask while in department buildings and facilities may continue to do so without interference,” DOJ said.

I work for a State of California law enforcement agency and we have the same policy. I think it (the policy) will likely end up costing us a couple of workers' compensation claims in the long run. Just for quick background, I manage an office of Detectives that conduct criminal investigations. We (among many other things) contact/interview witnesses out in the field; and, execute our own arrest/search warrants.

Unless it can absolutely be proven otherwise (i.e. an extended vacation or time off)...if an employee gets Covid, the State of California assumes you became infected while at work and thus makes you eligible for workers' compensation benefits.

As it stands now, we (supervisors/management) are not allowed to ask an employee their vaccination status. So, if the state ends up rescinding its mask order (presumably on June 15th), I'll likely have to send my Detectives into homes (of people they don't know) for their assignments (i.e. interviews, arrests/search warrants). I know there are a couple of them who have taken political positions with respect to mask wearing and will likely have that carry over by declining to get vaccinated. If we don't reach herd immunity in time, these guys could be at risk. And, if they become infected, the Department (and the citizens of the state) will catch an unnecessary workers' compensation case. If I could ask for their vaccination status, I could, at least mandate that they wear a mask for their own protection (in the same way that I mandate that they wear a bullet-resistant vest or helmet while out on an arrest). Yes, they could still become infected, but it could be argued that I mitigated the Department's exposure to a potential expensive workers' comp claim.

OTOH, not knowing anyone's vaccination status will likely result in the Department (and state workers overall) requiring EVERYONE to keep their masks on (which EVERYONE hates).

Looks like a "lose-lose" proposition.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

DOJ won't ask about employees' vaccine status

CeeZar216May 17, 2021 10:30AM

Covid-19: Do many people have pre-existing immunity?

CeeZar133May 17, 2021 12:24PM

Super interesting article

PHDram101May 17, 2021 12:49PM

How to sow distrust

CeeZar112May 17, 2021 12:51PM

False-positive COVID-19 results: hidden problems and costs

CeeZar210May 18, 2021 12:34PM

Related articles

CeeZar221May 18, 2021 12:36PM

ramBRO128May 18, 2021 03:48PM