Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ok, another JamesJM boring music post...

May 06, 2021 08:57PM
And would really like to get opinions from you other musicians... all of you... even those who dabble in playing music, you COUNT!

Let me begin with this... you ever listen to something, like on YouTube, and be so astounded by it that it almost shames you.... but then, after a closer listen, AND (and this is the important part), try it yourself only to discover that what you heard on the YouTube....and blew you away... WAS... something you could do easily, and actually HAVE done, and do?

Not sure how to explain this exactly so I'm going to give an example.... I don't play Herta's, on the drums, (no reason to look it up, it's just a drum riff), but I want too play them. So I've been listening to YouTube Herta videos and with every single one I am left thinking, "Holy CRAP but that sounds good, I HAVE to get that down"... and THEN...

I play it, not always getting it down immediately but shockingly soon.. and then finding out that out of the gate I can actually do it faster than the person in the YouTube.

So here is what I'm trying my best to get out here... what I play, what I hear while I am playing, I'm not just overly critical... I am debilitatingly critical, if I allow it to be. What I can do NOW, (don't misunderstand, I'm FAR from being a good drummer), is actually much better than I give any credit to myself at all. It sounds different when others play the same thing.... things that I can actually play better than them. This make any sense to anyone? It doesn't to me.

This happens all the time... this example is a Herta... again, don't look it up, it's not important to my point here.... I'll hear this YouTube Herta that blows my mind... so I grab a pair of sticks knowing I can NEVER do the same but instead... find out I can, and can immediately. BUT - - not because it sounds the same to me, (which is the most important thing), but rather because I can count music and I know I'm playing it faster than THEY did... but it still doesn't "sound" as amazing to me when they played it. Whoever "they" may be.

Just last night I was breaking down a Carter Beauford fill, (Dave Matthews band)... which not just blew my mind... it nuked' it. Now I cannot play it... so I'm not going there... but I can come so damn close I don't know what to think. I can do it at tempo, and I certainly don't have every note right but only another drummer could probably notice.

Summation: It's Not that I'm better than I think I am... in fact, it's the opposite.. it's that I am a klutz.. BUT,... .. and a big BUT.... I can fake it. Sometimes match it but mostly fake it.

what I hear is not that far above, (it IS above), what I can play... aurally. It is far above in technique... this is NOT a bragging post.

S0 back to my point, question - - - - for you other musicians.. guitars, whatever, ever experience that?
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Ok, another JamesJM boring music post...

JamesJM215May 06, 2021 08:57PM

Lemme tell you about what I HAVE experienced..

sstrams91May 07, 2021 03:13AM

Re: Ok, another JamesJM boring music post...

Atlantic Ram78May 07, 2021 05:59PM

Which means you COULD be a virtuoso...

sstrams71May 08, 2021 07:32AM

There is no doubt that I am...

Atlantic Ram99May 08, 2021 10:33AM

Totally understand..

sstrams121May 08, 2021 10:41AM