Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lemme tell you about what I HAVE experienced..

May 07, 2021 03:13AM
on youtube... plenty of people sending me links to 6 year old Japanese girls playing 80's metal songs like a boss - at first listen, anyways.. More on that later..

If I'm learning a somewhat complicated tune, generally I try to learn it from memory, first.. then I'll go back and listen to it and get the key its in correct (most of the time with 80's metal its A or E, so pretty easy to nail from memory) and some of the intricate stuff.. I'll sometimes then go to youtube and see how other people are playing it.. quite often they are wrong lol

Back to the 6 year-olds.. I've noticed, for example, the Whitesnake song "Bad Boys", which is a favorite of mine to jam with on the couch.. I KNOW how to play it, and play it correctly, but a pre chorus part is a bit hairy, so went to youtube to see how others were plying it.. well, they were CLOSE, but there was a difference of a couple of notes that just did not sound right, even tho they were proficient in playing it.. Then, I noticed a LOT of people played it that same incorrect way - mostly the 6 year olds etc...

So, I look up the tablature for that song and play the tablature version of that song: there it is - the two wrong notes.. So, I realized that most of the 6 year old virtuosos on youtube are playing tablature versions of popular songs, which are notoriously incorrect..

So, the playing is spot on, even tho they are playing stuff incorrectly, most of the time.. which led me to believe they were playing like robots - strictly what the tabs told them to play.. they didn't have the "ear" to hear they weren't playing it correctly..

So, anything I see on youtube I take with a grain of salt, unless its the artist themselves that created the video.. and, yes, I have learned solos note for note, but then realized I was wrong when seeing a video of the recording guitarist actually playing it... #*$&@!!

Friendship is like peeing your pants.. Everybody can see it, but only you can feel the warmth..

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Ok, another JamesJM boring music post...

JamesJM215May 06, 2021 08:57PM

Lemme tell you about what I HAVE experienced..

sstrams90May 07, 2021 03:13AM

Re: Ok, another JamesJM boring music post...

Atlantic Ram78May 07, 2021 05:59PM

Which means you COULD be a virtuoso...

sstrams71May 08, 2021 07:32AM

There is no doubt that I am...

Atlantic Ram99May 08, 2021 10:33AM

Totally understand..

sstrams121May 08, 2021 10:41AM