Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cookies, a short tale....

December 01, 2020 04:31PM
I know this will bore most of you.... ah well. laughing smiley

Maybe mid-70's I was given a batch of persimmon cookies made by Sarah, (older lady, now sadly gone). I knew Sarah well but I was not on her Christmas list, if you follow me. I got the cookies in a round-about manner... not directly from Sarah that is.

Now to explain the persimmon cookies. I can't. Heaven on earth. That's as close as I can come.

Well I HAD to find out who made them... which I did. I didn't see Sarah often... especially after her husband died... but I ran into her occasionally - at the store, post office, etc. One day I ran into her after finding out the persimmon cookies were of her making, and informed her about how much I loved them. Yeah, I was probably over the top with praise.... but trust me, these were damned good persimmon cookies.

Now Sarah did not attend our church, although she was a member. After informing Sarah about how much I loved her persimmon cookies she showed up at Mass that year... with persimmon cookies, and addressed to ME.

I accepted, gladly.

For the next... geez, I don't know... MANY years, Sarah showd up at Mass every year with a batch of persimmon cookies for me. Now I don't mean to infer that she made them JUST for me, I'm sure her family got batches, and other friends... BUT... I had made her list.

I suppose it's been 10 years or so now that Sarah passed on... but every Christmas Season she's in my thoughts. (yes, other times as well).

I have tried other persimmon cookies since Sarah moved on but none, not any, come close. That doesn't come as a surprise to me, however... just how DOES one match 'perfection'?

So my granddaughter is going to try.. bought the ingredients this evening. I'm looking forward to it. And in case you're wondering... I asked Sarah's family for the recipe, ALL of them.... and was informed that they hated the persimmon cookies and not one of them bothered to get the recipe. It's a memory... and just maybe I'm the only one who is aware - that the best persimmon cookies ever baked were made by Sarah. - JamesJM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2020 07:50PM by JamesJM.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Cookies, a short tale....

JamesJM144December 01, 2020 04:31PM

never tasted Sarah's but........

21Dog35December 01, 2020 08:15PM

LOL, I don't doubt you for a second, Greg. (nm)

JamesJM41December 01, 2020 08:20PM