Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A lot of history recorded in those old films.

June 15, 2020 04:51AM
Talking about your ranch reminds me of the ranch my family had in northern B.C. My dad bought the property in the 60s (almost 1,000 acres). The closest town was about 80 miles away and back then it took 12 hrs to drive those 80 miles. The road was just two ruts going thru the woods. Only way out in the winter was on snowmobile. People communicated via CB's and every night there was a one hour show of radio messages.

Some of the people living in the area only went to town once or twice a year and got a little "woodsy". One of the more colorful neighbors drove what he called the "wreck wagon". It was what was left of a 60's pickup what had been driven over a cliff. It had everything but the cab, fenders and a exhaust system. So just the frame, front seat and a bed full of hound dogs. The steering columns was held up by two 2x4's in a X shape held together with barbwire.

In the 70's my dad cleared a runway so he could fly into the ranch in his Cessna 172. The first time he and my older brother flew in and landed the ground was too soft and the plan ended up flipping over on landing. Luckly no one was hurt.

About 1/4 way between town and the ranch was a Indian reservation with a general store. First time I went there I was probably 8 years old. Many of the Indians were still living in tepee's and the chiefs had the full feather head dress just like in the movies. And some still had horse drawn wagons. Really freaked me out as a little kid.

Now there is a two lane highway and electricity all the way out to the general store.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Just a thought about old movies.... 20's, 30's, 40's...

JamesJM355June 14, 2020 11:02PM

A lot of history recorded in those old films.

SeattleRam197June 15, 2020 04:51AM

Re: A lot of history recorded in those old films.

fearsomefoursome159June 21, 2020 07:45PM