Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Just a thought about old movies.... 20's, 30's, 40's...

June 14, 2020 11:02PM
even the 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's.....

Even if the movie is subpar, or even terrible... if filmed 'on location' they are living depictions of the way things were. Priceless. Think of them like those "then and now' photographs.

I'm currently watching a movie called "The Malta Story"... old war movie. It was filmed in Malta... and the architecture is astounding. Earlier I watched "The Purple Plain" filmed in Sri Lanka. I looked up the filming location for The Purple Rain then opened google earth and visited it.... just amazing! Saw things I had never heard of, amazing things... ever hear of "Sigiriya Rock"? Kudo's to you if you had... I had not.

I would think all of you old classic car fans would love these old classics as well. Cars, trucks, military vehicles, they are all on view.

It all makes one wonder how much of that stuff - building, vehicles, hell - even clothes, are still around.

Last night I watched an old Columbo episode and then used 'Street View' to visit the locations.... almost unrecognizable today. And that was only back to the 70's.

This morning I watched "Staglag 17", (one of my all time favorite movies), and learned that it was filmed on the "Jack Show Ranch".... not far from Hollywood actually.... saw some old photos of the ranch and the 'open' land stretching out into the San Fernando Valley... farms, sparse houses.... and today nearly paved solid, including the hills.

Whenever I take anyone to my ranch I think my first comment to them is that they're have gone back in time.... because my ranch is nearly undeveloped... as it was in the 1800's, 1700's, 1500's, and who knows how far back. - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Just a thought about old movies.... 20's, 30's, 40's...

JamesJM348June 14, 2020 11:02PM

A lot of history recorded in those old films.

SeattleRam194June 15, 2020 04:51AM

Re: A lot of history recorded in those old films.

fearsomefoursome153June 21, 2020 07:45PM