March 27, 2020 11:37AM
I think I told this before on this board... but it's funny, to me anyway, so I'm repeating it.

At my college, and during play productions, of course we had stage personnel... prop people. They occasionally made mistakes.

We were performing "The Odd Couple"... I was playing the part of Felix Unger. There was a scene where Oscar leaves to make drinks leaving me alone with the "Coo Coo Pigeon Sisters". I, Felix that is, completely destroys the evening Oscar had planned... this is in the play, the following was NOT in the play.

While delivering one of my lines one of the Coo Coo Pigeon Sisters stayed IN character but delivered a line NOT in the script. "Excuse me, but do you have an ashtray".

The Coo Coo Pigeon sister was smoking and the prop man had forgotten to put an ashtray on the table we were sitting at... a small coffee table near the sofa. On the set was a Dining Room Room table set up for the fancy dinner Oscar was planning.

Taken aback, by the unexpected line, I went into improv... instantly. I rose, apologized to the Coo Coo Pigeon Sister... then began frantically looking around.... seeing nothing appropriate to use as an ashtray I went 'clandestine'.. and slowly, staying in character, made my way to the dining room table upon which were two candelabras. Using a line to force the Coo Coo Pigeon sisters to look behind them I quickly removed the candle from the small dish-like candelabra and stuffed the candle down the front of my pants. See where I'm going? laughing smiley

To the audience, anyone who looked, it appeared that I had a giant ..... ummmmm, what's the word I can use on this board? Boner. Giant is the appropriate word... it was a big candle.

I 'acted' as if I didn't notice at first..... but the Coo Coo Pigeon sisters did... then I realized, (in character), my undignified appearance and began trying to hide my embarrassment, (in character). This went on for at least a full 5 minutes.... during which the audience was hysterical in laughter... so loud we couldn't have continued delivering our lines even if we tried.

Eventually I made a desperate move snapping the candle in pieces at which time they fell out of my trouser leg and I clumsily kicked, decoyed the Coo Coo Pigeon sisters into looking away (they didn't), and pushed candle pieces under rugs, under the sofa, and kicking a piece or two into the audience.

Finally the audience calmed down... and the play continued.

The next day I was called into a meeting of our acting troupe and they informed me to 'leave it in'... that is... repeat the boner mistake for each performance.. which I did. BUT... I have to be honest.... it never went over quite as well in the remainder of the performances. Good, but not like that first time when it was spontaneous.

Just a few years ago we formed a Facebook Group for all of us who were involved in the Dramatic Arts at my college. And yes, both Coo Coo Pigeon sisters joined... I had spoken to neither in nearly 50 years.. what do you think the first thing was that they reminded me of? laughing smiley
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Ok, I saw it, officially the worst movie ever made....

JamesJM210March 26, 2020 09:24PM

Now Jimmy, you know I bought this movie up....

sstrams63March 27, 2020 05:39AM

Sorry Steve...

JamesJM54March 27, 2020 06:15AM

No problem, man..

sstrams55March 27, 2020 07:25AM

Actually I agree....

JamesJM49March 27, 2020 08:42AM

I think it was serious...

sstrams48March 27, 2020 09:17AM

Well, I do too... as I said....

JamesJM52March 27, 2020 09:20AM

By the way... locations...

JamesJM41March 27, 2020 01:29PM

That's pretty cool...

sstrams49March 27, 2020 01:43PM

I'll keep this movie in this thread....

JamesJM124March 27, 2020 06:31AM

OK 1 minute here....

roman1854March 27, 2020 07:39AM

I have seen that movie....

JamesJM50March 27, 2020 09:00AM

I love bad movies

waterfield51March 27, 2020 09:59AM

My favorite of all time..

sstrams47March 27, 2020 10:12AM

Yes, me too....

JamesJM67March 27, 2020 11:12AM

another great goof in Braveheart..

sstrams43March 27, 2020 11:50AM

Ok, a story... this from my days acting on stage.

JamesJM42March 27, 2020 11:37AM