Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Music, proud of the younger generation...a quiz, for you!

December 28, 2019 04:58AM
Pretty sure I recognize the ones in BOLD and could hum a little of it.

I think I know the one in underlined, but I'd have to hear a little to see if it's what I'm thinking of.

I think if I heard a little of each, I'd probably recognize more of them, just don't recognize the title.

I didn't even know Walter Brennan ever recorded a song.

P.S. Okay, I looked them all up and listened to them. I was right about all the ones I indicated, and there were several others I remember. I've heard the Walter Brennan one before, but didn't remember until I heard it.

JamesJM
But first.. .no, not today's music, which I think is lacking, VERY lacking... when I was growing up I began 'band' at an early age... 4th grade. I learned all that had come before me...

classical, big band, ragtime, all of it. At that time that was unusual... very rare in fact. Today people my specific age, in general, did NOT grow up with an appreciation for music that came before them... I think because Elvis changed everything, (no criticism of Elvis, some will say Chuck Berry, God bless them),... but it did turn the world around causing many, I think most, to forget what had come before. So along those lines... I'm going to name a few songs and what I want you to do is this:

Tell me if you even KNOW the songs I'm about to list.. BUT... I'm going to be fair... ALL post-Elvis. I'll give you the song artist AND title.. and all you have to do, without cheating, is answer yes or no... you know it or you don't know it. AND BY THE WAY - - - THIS LIST is ALL songs my granddaughter KNEW... she is 15... the 'young generation'... I'm proud of her... and I suspect, you won't do as well as she did.

Roger Voudouris - "Get Used To It". (mentioned that one of this board before)
Strawberry Alarm Clock - "Incense And Peppermints"
Brenda Lee - "Lover Come Back To Me".. (my granddaughter knowing this one blew me away)
Dobie Gray - "Drift Away"
The Kinks - "All Day And All Of The Night"

About to get tougher: (but as I said, granddaughter knew these)

Looking Glass - "Brandy"
Herb Alpert - "The Lonely Bull"
We Five - "You Were On My Mind"
The Chambers Brothers - "Time Has Come Today"
The Lovin' Spoonful - "Summer In The City".. ( have a great story behind this one I'll tell one day, maybe)

And now the impossible... where my granddaughter blew me away.. BUT SHE DID KNOW THEM!

Walter Brennan - "Old Rivers"
Connie Francis - "Where The Boys Are"
Moby Grape - "Omaha".. (my granddaughter knowing this was my biggest surprise... I can't even come to grips with it)
Blue Swede - "Hooked On A Feeling"
The Association - "Cherish"... (I used to play with these guys in practices).

So how did you do? My point is.. I don't like today's music, much.. there ARE amazing musicians, vocalists, more than ever before I think....but kids today KNOW great music...even if we think they don't. - JamesJM

Aries
~Sign of the Rams
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Music, proud of the younger generation...a quiz, for you!

JamesJM195December 27, 2019 08:47PM

Moby Grape knowledge?

21Dog112December 28, 2019 03:52AM

Re: Music, proud of the younger generation...a quiz, for you!

Aries174December 28, 2019 04:58AM

Walter Brennan actually had two hits...

JamesJM118December 28, 2019 07:05AM

I know a bunch of 'em..

sstrams118December 28, 2019 07:58AM

I know most of those

ferragamo79126December 28, 2019 03:49PM