Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Transferring High School Athletes...

July 06, 2018 11:22AM
there is an article on MaxPreps today about how this effects a players rating viewed by the Pro's. It's also been hot topic around here this year.... local radio shows, etc.

HS students transferring to bigger and badder High Schools is rampant in my area... my guess is that it's the same wherever you are.

Sooooo, I have one anecdote. True? False? Don't know... but this is what I heard from more than one semi-reliable source:

Last year our HS QB was highly recruited by several Div 1 teams... he chose Wyoming. He's there now, they've just begun training. After committing, 'what I hear' is that the recruiter(s) for Wyoming and a coach told our QB's parents that had he 'transferred to a bigger and badder HS than our local High School, (Kerman), they would have red flagged him.

Do I believe this? Well, yeah... but I'm not 'sure'. I would kind of 'like' to believe it.... sort of... I can make a good case for stopping these transfers - - BUT I also think a pretty good case for allowing it in some circumstances can be made.

Mostly I don't really have a dog in the fight.... the rampant transfers, (many if not most outside the rules), occur almost entirely with Div. 1 teams... Kerman is Div. IV. It's rare that a Kerman Kid is considered by a Div 1 or even a Div II team.

One other note: The 'good reason' for allowing transfers that I think is on the mark, (won't go into the reasons for not allowing them right now)... is that it's simply 'true', from my experience, which is not meager, that unless you play for the 'big boys' in HS getting noticed by college recruiters is next to impossible.. almost to the point of 'talent' being a non-factor.

Anyway.. kudo's to our QB... who stuck it out in Kerman, even though highly sought, and did it 'the hard way'.... Go Wyoming!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Transferring High School Athletes...

JamesJM139July 06, 2018 11:22AM

this transfer thing is a pet peeve of mine

21Dog116July 07, 2018 06:08PM

Yup, and more than him....

JamesJM89July 07, 2018 06:10PM

Re: Transferring High School Athletes...

JoeMad103July 08, 2018 01:43AM

I was aware of that

21Dog111July 08, 2018 04:32AM

Yeah, it's being talked about quite a bit....

JamesJM85July 08, 2018 05:03AM

Re: Yeah, it's being talked about quite a bit....

21Dog194July 08, 2018 06:22AM

Sadly I see a lot of that... Parents dreaming 'large'...

JamesJM89July 08, 2018 07:01AM

as an athlete.......

21Dog92July 08, 2018 07:10AM

Well said... and I agree...

JamesJM116July 08, 2018 07:26AM