Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A Track Meet in 100+ weather...

May 04, 2017 09:30AM
That's where I was yesterday. Sitting in the bleachers was hell. We went from upper 70's, lower 80's, to 100 almost overnight.

I watched those kids out on that track and my heart bled for them. ON the track the temperature had to be well over 100.

My grandson was entered in the 200, 400, High Jump and 4X400 relay. First up... the 400...

which, as you know, is a killer. Gun went off about 3:45pm, the hottest part of the day. He set his fastest time for the year getting 2nd. The winner also set his fastest time and BOTH... stumbled across the finish line from exhaustion. 8 kids in the race... 5 of them collapsed after the finish line... 2 on the track, 3 made it to the infield before collapsing. My grandson was one of them, he made it to the infield.

Coaches and other athletes rushed to their aid pouring iced water over them.

I was damned proud of Mason... fastest time in those conditions... BUT... it drained him. 200 was next, maybe 1/2 hour later... ran his worst time of the year coming in 5th and losing to 4 runners who he had beaten in every race this year.

High Jump.... his worst height of the year.

4X400 - their worst time of the year.

Nothing drains you more than heat.

All day we watched kids being treated with ice packs, having hoses run over them, and no small number of athletes puking all over the complex. Hell, I was a bit nauseous in the stands while sipping on a cold soft drink.

And now one of the saddest things ever.... that was it. Mason officially ended his athletic career through High School.. he graduates later this month. MY GOD but it was yesterday I watched him put on his first football helmet, way to big, and football pants that were so loose it looked like he was wearing a skirt.. he was 6. Since then football, baseball, basketball, swimming, track, a little tennis.... the number of athletic events I have attended the last 10 years or so is beyond count.. and that's just Mason.. I have 6 other grandkids ALL playing the same schedule.

Mason goes on to college now.... and football... although we don't know where yet. AND...

Elijah, my youngest grandson, begins.... this fall he starts football. Or maybe he begins... Elijah doesn't have the 'sports' drive of the others even though.. he may be the best athlete of them all.

He makes me laugh... while the 'older' grandkids ALL approach sports with steely eyed determination Elijah couldn't care less. Oh he's into it when he's participating.. but before and after it's not a ghost of a thought on his mind.

Any 'pump it up' speech from us, his family goes something like this -

"Hey Elijah, this year you are going to carry on the great tradition of #8". (all my grandkids wear #8.)

Elijah, "I don't know if I'm going to play"

Us, "Oh Elijah, you'll regret it, sitting in the stands while all your friends are out on the field".

Elijah, "No I won't."

Us, "Yes you will".

Elijah, "Pops, can you buy me this new game app?".

So stand by for my Elijah graduating high school post 10 years from now, it will happen tomorrow. - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

A Track Meet in 100+ weather...

JamesJM500May 04, 2017 09:30AM

100 degrees in the first of May

IowaRam312May 04, 2017 11:51AM

It's not uncommon...

JamesJM212May 04, 2017 05:12PM

I ran those same events back in the day

ferragamo79222May 04, 2017 06:14PM

He hasn't chosen....

JamesJM222May 04, 2017 06:22PM

I work at a JC