Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

UUUUGH!! My ONE chance to watch a Saturn 5 launch and old enough to remember it..

June 05, 2024 04:16AM
My Dad did not wake me up for it. It was the next to last Apollo launch, I believe. It was SUPPOSED to go off at 10 PM but was delayed till 1 or 2 AM. I was about 4 years old and remember clock watching from about 7 PM on. I was almost ALWAYS in bed by 9 but Mom and Dad let me stay up till close to 11. I don't recall but my Dad told me I was exhausted. He woke me up just to hear it was delayed AGAIN. As a Dad, I see why he said to hell with it. He figured there'd be other night launches. Nope. Dad told me you could HEAR the Saturn 5 from our house on the Westside of Jacksonville, loud n clear. The best launch I have ever seen was the one just a week or two before the Challenger explosion. The Columbia launched at night AND launched in a rare N/ NE direction, giving Jacksonville a AWESOME view. Had to listen close but I could hear it. Sounded like a flag flapping. It also helped that it was a cool and VERY crisp night with ZERO haze or clouds.

The Space X / recent launches are ok but nothing like watching the shuttle
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

NASA’s Boeing Starliner Launch in 5 hrs.

SeattleRam107June 04, 2024 08:06PM

UUUUGH!! My ONE chance to watch a Saturn 5 launch and old enough to remember it..

Ramgator74June 05, 2024 04:16AM

1 hour

SeattleRam82June 05, 2024 04:45AM

Finally made it huh

IowaRam46June 05, 2024 08:06AM

SpaceX Starship IFT4 Flight Test

SeattleRam76June 05, 2024 10:46PM

Re: SpaceX Starship IFT4 Flight Test

SeattleRam79June 06, 2024 08:06AM