Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question about Boxing and the era of Pay Per View.

March 22, 2024 02:14PM
I have never or never will pay up for a Pay Per View Boxing Match or ANY Sport for that matter but my question is.........Did Pay Per View set Boxing back?? I think about this question with the Mike Tyson fight looming. I remember watching some CLASSICS with my Dad, in the 1970s, that people still talk about. They were FREE on ABC Sports. Usually called by Howard Cosell. Obviously, they ARE making $$$ through Pay Per View but what are the numbers of Viewers?? If it were not for Tyson fighting this fight, we'd hear little to nothing about Boxing. When was the LAST High Profile fight that was....GOOD?? Or even remotely a Classic??
I joked about it in another post but such fights as Tyson winning in seconds.....Who wants to dish out $$$$ and risk getting THAT for your money??

Tyson in his prime was the last I remember Boxing being talked about and that has been....34 years ago?? I think PPV buried Boxing.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Question about Boxing and the era of Pay Per View.

Ramgator52March 22, 2024 02:14PM

Tyson and Holyfield last big names I remember..

sstrams29March 22, 2024 04:01PM

I don't keep track of names....

JamesJM44March 22, 2024 06:21PM

I'm no Boxing Guru but I saw SEVERAL fights in the early 90s that looked like set ups..

Ramgator18March 23, 2024 03:42AM

Growing up in the 50s

waterfield30March 22, 2024 08:57PM