Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I watched 'The Artist'...

April 20, 2023 08:39PM
It won the Best Motion Picture back in 2011. I got to thinking.... had I seen another winner of the Oscar since then? I checked...

Yes, I did... I saw "Green Book" which won in 2018. I didn't know it had won. As for "the Artist"... I not only did not know it won I had never even heard of it.

It was very, very good. B&W film and silent... I'm sure all of you knew that... I did not. Funny how it started out.... the music that is...

My first thought as the opening theme song began the movie was something like, "Hmmm, not bad but it doesn't seem to fit". By the end of the movie I thought, "That was utterly brilliant musical composition". And it was... fact is: i was astounded by it. Not that any particular song was noteworthy on its own... nothing really 'catchy'... but it's harmony with the film itself... welllll, I don't think it could have been any better.

The movie is told as a 'silent movie' but one big, HUGE, difference than actual silent movies... very subdued acting. AND... fantastic acting. I believe Jean Dujardin, (lead actor), won Best Actor for his performance. Bravo. Well done!

I was swept up by the movie.... gradually growing on me as it progressed BUT it had my attention immediately. I knew from the get-go it was great art.

I don't think it makes my top 10 list, perhaps not my top 50... but it may, eventually. It's so extremely well done... I'm sure it will grow on me.

My obligatory caveat... I don't recommend movies, (or rather, I do so very seldom).... this one I do recommend but for a specific audience - those who, like me, enjoy the artistry of film making, in all it's aspects. AS for the story... well, I loved it but I do not think it will have much appeal to most. I could be wrong.

It has no action,foul language, nudity. It portrays the 20's and 30's perfectly.... or so it seems to me. I wasn't around back then. - JamesJM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2023 09:19PM by JamesJM.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

I watched 'The Artist'...

JamesJM92April 20, 2023 08:39PM

Well, that didn't take long....

JamesJM57April 21, 2023 10:05AM

we watched it when it first came out

IowaRam51April 21, 2023 01:19PM

Good to hear, Iowa...

JamesJM52April 21, 2023 01:36PM