Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The movie 'Saving Lincoln'...

March 03, 2023 06:22PM
Now as you guys know I'm an avid history buff regarding the Civil War Era. Far from anything nearing 'expert' but very well read on the topic... hundreds of novels, biographies, letters from soldiers, wives, politicians, journalists, you name it. So I came across this movie this evening and have just begun watching it.

Two things... first... I don't think I'm more than 20 minutes into this movie as I type this and Secondly - The Civil War Era fascinates me like no other... I am biased toward liking nearly anything Civil War related... and not 'mildly so' but rather.... VERY biased toward treating any serious Civil War movie, book, favorably... even if deeply flawed. I know, that probably makes little sense to you. laughing smiley

This movie is NOT well made. I would go as far as to say... it's very poorly made. Also... and at least so far, the acting is atrocious... well, perhaps not atrocious but certainly not good. One nice quality to it, however... they use actual photos from that era as backdrops with the actors green screened in front of it. NOT very well done but still... authentic, and I appreciate the effort, meager as it may be.

So with that said... you know I'm not at all fond of the movie for production value, acting, etc etc etc..... yet I find it VERY interesting. Why? Good question.

In a very superficial manner, (that's bad too), they DO bring up opinions proffered during that era by various notable figures that you RARELY, if ever, hear noted today. I wonder...for those not like me, non-Civil War era history buffs that is, will those opinions seem a bit supercilious... like - "Oh that didn't happen?". Well, so far at least, those opinions DID happen... perhaps NOT by the specific characters in this movie they attribute the opinion too but legit opinions of that era none-the-less. And while some of those lines of dialog, (not well delivered), were 'fringe' they never the less set what I think is a very good foundation for seeing that era in 'context'; something rarely, in fact never, told today.

So here we have what I think, (again, so far), is a truly poorly made and acted movie doing something.... welllllll, quite extraordinary.

Now I read the synapsis... and if accurate then where this movie is going, in keeping with that theme, is going to change rapidly... so everything I said above may apply to only the first 20 minutes, or so. laughing smiley

In conclusion... I want one of you... doesn't matter who.... to reply to this post nominating me for the most boring and irrelevant post in the history of the Pub. I think I've earned it. - JamesJM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2023 06:26PM by JamesJM.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

The movie 'Saving Lincoln'...

JamesJM141March 03, 2023 06:22PM

Re: The movie 'Saving Lincoln'...

SeattleRam68March 03, 2023 08:47PM

got that right...

JamesJM57March 03, 2023 09:20PM

It's gotten so bad...

SeattleRam82March 04, 2023 12:01AM

..and why is that?

sstrams133March 04, 2023 05:35AM

All of you RELAX!!! I'm sure Hollywood is working to release......

Ramgator56March 04, 2023 11:17AM

As long as they keep making a bazillion dollars

IowaRam65March 04, 2023 11:51AM

James..I really regret missing a Civil War Op last September.

Ramgator80March 04, 2023 11:21AM

so many Civil War Sites I've yet to visit....

JamesJM85March 06, 2023 08:19PM