Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ernest Jones not satisfied with his play in 2022: 'Next year will be better'

January 03, 2023 08:25AM
[theramswire.usatoday.com] Ernest Jones not satisfied with his play in 2022: 'Next year will be better'

Cameron DaSilva
January 3, 2023 9:01 am PT
Ernest Jones was asked to play a new role this season. After being the Rams’ every-down linebacker in the second half of last season, he ceded that role to future Hall of Famer Bobby Wagner in 2022. As a result, Jones has only played 67% of the defensive snaps as the No. 2 linebacker, coming off the field when the Rams go to their nickel and dime packages.

Jones has undoubtedly made a positive impact on defense, recording 109 tackles and one interception, but he’s not satisfied with the way he’s played in 2022. He’s confident he’ll play better next season.

“Individual goals, I just wanted to play great,” Jones said, via the LA Daily News. “I don’t feel like I did that this year. I don’t feel like I lived up to what I know I’m capable of. For me, I’m ready to get in with Seattle (this week), but I’m also ready to get back to work and go do what I know I’m capable of.

“I feel like I’m capable of being one of the best linebackers in this league. I just know I am. So, all I gotta do is go be everything that I say I am, which I will do. Next year will be better.”

It’s hard to imagine the Rams moving on from Wagner after just one season, so he’s highly likely to be on the team again in 2023 – especially after playing at such a high level this year. So Jones will probably remain in the same role as the No. 2 linebacker alongside Wagner.

Jones may not be thrilled with his performance, but he and Wagner are a big reason the Rams allow the eighth-fewest yards per carry and boast the best run defense in the NFL, according to PFF’s grades.

Wagner has the second-best run defense grade of any linebacker in the NFL (91.1), and Jones isn’t far behind; he ranks 13th among linebackers with a grade of 80.9. The season hasn’t gone according to plan for the Rams, but their decision to pair Wagner and Jones was very clearly the right one.

It’s reasonable to think they’ll be even better together in 2023, too.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Ernest Jones not satisfied with his play in 2022: 'Next year will be better'

BerendsenRam212January 03, 2023 08:25AM

I believe Jones would have been the better choice against the pass...

RustyRay114January 03, 2023 03:18PM

Re: I believe Jones would have been the better choice against the pass...

Ramstien57January 04, 2023 03:24AM

SoCalRAMatic78January 04, 2023 05:58AM

BerendsenRam80January 04, 2023 08:09AM