Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rams handling of Mayfield this offseason is definitely gonna be tricky…

December 29, 2022 07:23AM
And on so many levels.

Here’s our current take on Stafford:

He is beloved by coaches and fans alike. He was a big part in our SB win, after all.

His contract makes him untradeable for several years.

His health is increasingly suspect. My best guess is that he only plays 2 more years, but it could be only one.

So Rams must plan on having a new starting QB by the ‘25 season, possibly sooner.

Rams do not possess the draft assets to trade for another quality starting QB currently without jeopardizing their ability to fill other needs down the road (replace AD, Wagner, etc).

Here’s what we THINK we know about Mayfield:

Baker fits with McVay hand-in-glove. What they’ve already accomplished in 3 games under challenging conditions is amazing.

Theoretically, Rams could acquire Mayfield’s rights without spending a single draft pick providing BM will accommodate them on terms and timing.

If he continues on his current trend line then BM will surely get offers to be a starting QB elsewhere.

Rams obviously can’t afford to offer BM starting QB money while Stafford is still on the team.

Rams definitely do NOT want to find themselves without Stafford OR another quality starting QB in either ‘24 or ‘25. Any investments Rams might make in player personnel between now and then would be largely moot without a quality starting QB in the fold, so the stakes are very high.

I would think Baker would be placing high value on securing the best possible environment for him to thrive after his experience with Browns and Panthers. HC in particular. And McVay seems PERFECT for him.

BM is young and healthy so he would be a long term solution at QB for any team he might go to.

BM seems to be hyper effective when playing within the system created for him by McVay. When he doesn’t feel that he needs to do it all by himself, IOW.

BM seems very happy here and his teammates are certainly happy with him.

I THINK all of the above are either accurate or reasonable assumptions.

So when we put all of the above in the blender, what can we conclude?

Well, there seems to be powerful incentives for both Rams and BM to find a mutually beneficial solution to allow him to stay.

Is there some ‘creative’ way for Rams to structure a BM contract such that Rams could afford to keep him on the shelf for a year or two until Stafford retires? Stafford might have to be a part of this if it has to be after only one year. And the money paid to BM in the meantime would have to be enough for him to justify being a 1-2 year backup.

Meanwhile, BM could be soaking up priceless tidbits from both Stafford and McVay as he prepares to be starter here one day.

Lots of moving parts here but the rewards could be profound for both BM and the Rams.

I’m thinking (and hoping) that all parties can find an accommodation.

Thoughts?
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams handling of Mayfield this offseason is definitely gonna be tricky…

Rams43330December 29, 2022 07:23AM

Yea. Here's my thoughts.

NewMexicoRam177December 29, 2022 08:03AM

Tampa Bay makes sense

BigGame81160December 29, 2022 12:35PM

Re: Rams handling of Mayfield this offseason is definitely gonna be tricky…

David Deacon116December 29, 2022 09:26AM

Re: Rams handling of Mayfield this offseason is definitely gonna be tricky…

Rams4391December 29, 2022 09:47AM

Anyone recall how well Steve Young was paid as a Niner when Montana was still there?

Ramgator140December 29, 2022 10:25AM

Re: Anyone recall how well Steve Young was paid as a Niner when Montana was still there?

Rams43116December 29, 2022 11:08AM

When does the cap shoot up?

sstrams80December 29, 2022 01:27PM