Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Baker Mayfield is exceeding even Sean McVay's expectations in LA

December 26, 2022 08:28AM
[theramswire.usatoday.com] Baker Mayfield is exceeding even Sean McVay's expectations in LA

Cameron DaSilva
December 26, 2022 8:24 am PT
As exciting as it was when the Rams claimed Baker Mayfield off waivers, expectations were tempered for a quarterback who had played so poorly with the Panthers this season. No one believed he would come in and turn the offense on its head, but his performance on Sunday against the Broncos shows he still has what it takes to be a starter in the NFL.

Despite the Rams missing their top three receivers, as well as several of their starting offensive linemen, Mayfield outplayed Russell Wilson, who the Broncos paid $242 million and traded multiple first-round picks for, by a wide margin in the Rams’ 51-14 win over Denver.

Sean McVay has said how highly he thought of Mayfield before he even arrived in Los Angeles, and through three games, he’s exceeded the coach’s expectations. He’s led the Rams to two wins and thrown four touchdown passes with only one interception, playing at a high level in an offense he’s still learning.

Needless to say, McVay has been impressed.

“I think probably better (than expected), but I always – you guys know, I was always a fan of him and I think he’s played really well,” McVay said after the game. “You got to think about too, what he’s done to come in here and be able to play around a lot of guys too that haven’t been here, and to be able to lead the charge today, just an incredible effort. The quarterback position, there’s just so many things that are involved with that and it’s not exclusive to just when he is dropping back and throwing the football, getting us in and out of the right looks in the run game. That’s a tough defense as we know and he got us in and out of the right plays. I thought the operation was clean all day. He’s been outstanding. Again, I think a ton of credit goes to him, but also (QBs coach) Zac Robinson and (OC) Liam Coen being able to work hand in hand with him.”

Mayfield knows he won’t be the Rams’ starter next season because that job is held by Matthew Stafford, but he’s not giving up on his goal of starting somewhere. And with the way he played against a solid Broncos defense on Sunday, he looked like one of the 32 best quarterbacks in football.

Someone will probably sign him to a contract worth starter money in the offseason, but if he doesn’t get any bites on a deal in his range, perhaps a return to the Rams as a backup will be in the cards.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Baker Mayfield is exceeding even Sean McVay's expectations in LA

BerendsenRam86December 26, 2022 08:28AM