Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A juicy critique by fearsomefour…

December 21, 2022 06:44AM
Here’s fearsomefour…

Ive said for a long time most coaches are not great.
Most are not great football minds that are adaptable really. They are experts in the scheme THEY run, but, thats all they coach really. So and so is a 3/4 D coach or a 4/3 D coach for example.
Most coaches are not that adaptable. They run what they run or the oversee it and have other run their scheme.
So I have no idea if McVay is interested is really changing his scheme that much. He has shown he can adapt although it takes a while for him to implement the changes.
The NFL works in cycles as we all know.
For awhile everyone was wanting big, physical receivers. Then it morphed into a spread offense, empty backfield, no huddle offenses that attacked through the air. Whats coming back this year? Running game.
Why?
Offenses make adjustments or someone has success and teams emulate and then defenses adjust. So, if you are an O facing a D with 3 good pass rushers and a good coverage secondary but light on beef up front and physical LBs.....well, you run the ball.
Offenses adjust.....defenses adjust....offenses adjust again.
Any offense if properly executed should work.
Injuries kill ya and being predictable (one dimensional) will kill your offense too.
The Rams have both problems going on.
At some point in nearly every NFL season, playoff in particular, it still comes down to running the ball and stopping the run.
The design this year was to have an O that scored TDs and a D that gave up FGs and didn't get killed on the ground.
For the most part the D has done its job, as designed, pretty well.
Now, add a running game to that O design and the D gets more rest etc.....the D goes from being good to potentially being a top D in the league.
The running game helps cover for a lot of other weaknesses. When the running game isn't there, no matter the talent, the offense is going to be a bit crippled.
Football is football. It has always been this way.
I don't know if there is anyone who can really reign McVay in or anyone on his staff that pushes back in a real way or is allowed to.
The Rams need another voice in there with McVay I think.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Short and sweet critique of McVay’s play calling tendencies by Oregonram…

Rams43281December 21, 2022 06:40AM

A juicy critique by fearsomefour…

Rams43131December 21, 2022 06:44AM

This has just been an all around awful year for the Rams

NewMexicoRam46December 21, 2022 01:13PM

I think most of us knew McVay wouldn't run..

sstrams76December 21, 2022 06:46AM

Well, looking past play calling for the moment...

JamesJM97December 21, 2022 06:49AM

Awesome, more mindless McVay bashing from another board

promomasterj112December 21, 2022 09:14AM

Re: Awesome, more mindless McVay bashing from another board

Rampage2K-72December 21, 2022 10:59AM