Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Concussion - personal experience, plus research

November 15, 2022 02:42PM
Let's start with Dr. Daniel Amen. From an on-line bio:

"Dr. Amen is a physician, psychiatrist, teacher, and multiple New York Times best-selling author. He is widely regarded as one of the world's foremost experts on applying brain imaging science to clinical psychiatric practice. He is a board certified child and adult psychiatrist and a Distinguished Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association... Amen Clinics have the world's largest database of functional brain scans relating, totaling nearly 90,000 scans on patients from 93 countries.

Dr. Amen is the lead researcher on the world's largest brain imaging/brain rehabilitation study on professional football players, which not only demonstrated significant brain damage in a high percentage of retired players, but also the possibility for rehabilitation in many with the principles that underlie his work."

In my own experience as an educator I learned a great deal from Dr. Amen's published work on ADHD and brain injury. Dr. Amen and others have produced research showing that concussion may not be attributable to an immediate direct blow, that initial symptoms of concussion may not show immediaately, and can last as long as three months when they do. Damage from concussion, unrelated to initial symptoms, can be lifelong. c.f. Junior Saeu.

From my own experience, I have been concussed several times. (That may explain some on my posts rolled eyes smiley ) Once I was knoched out for over ten seconds (I was told later and don't rememberwinking smiley by a log that fell sixteen feet. I got up, shook it off, and eventually completed the heavy, physical work I was doing.

The following day I was scheduled to row the river with guide clients - heavy-duty, physically demanding work, conducted while being a tour guide and recantuer in addition to helping clients with casting and fishing strategies.

I did all of it - and still have a crystal-clear picture in my memory bank of a small one-minute part of it, although the rest of that time period, from waking up immediately after the knockout until two days after is a complete blank.

Draw your own conclusions, herd brothers, as to how and what I've described here could be affecting Stafford right now. I know he's a warrior and would want to be out there ASAP. I also know that a person's own assessment post-concussion - you don't even know you've been concussed - isn't the best. I had no business being out on the river the day after I got concussed, but I didn't know that.

I'll treasure that Super Bowl victory and will never forget what Stafford and Kupp put together on that last drive. He's a great quarterback - he had a chance to play up to his potential in a few games last year. And if we don't see him again for the rest of the year, or even if he and Kelly decide it's time to watch those four beautiful little girls grow up without exposing daddy to the risk of further life-damaging injury, I'll understand and be grateful for what was.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2022 03:20PM by mtramfan.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Matthew Stafford is still in concussion protocol

BerendsenRam340November 15, 2022 08:23AM

RAMS NATION is in concussion protocol!!

Ramgator302November 15, 2022 08:41AM

this is so weird...he never took a hard shot vs Bucs

Rampage2K-289November 15, 2022 09:22AM

I'm not so sure this is concussion related

Deadpool158November 15, 2022 09:35AM

Re: I'm not so sure this is concussion related

MamaRAMa274November 15, 2022 09:41AM

Yeah, I posted a photo of him..

sstrams116November 15, 2022 10:34AM

He might have received a concussion a few games back

waterfield107November 15, 2022 11:58AM

It might be really simple...... Saving the ONE QB we have.

Ramgator103November 15, 2022 10:45AM

Why tank? We have no 1st rounder

JimYoungblood5389November 15, 2022 12:27PM

I'm not talking about picks at all. Just keeping our QB alive.

Ramgator88November 15, 2022 01:48PM

Re: I'm not talking about picks at all. Just keeping our QB alive.

h2omelonhead119November 15, 2022 03:17PM

there will be no tanking (nm)

JamesJM159November 15, 2022 03:19PM

Aren't there neurological tests from independent neurologists?

promomasterj176November 15, 2022 12:44PM

You don't need a "hard hit" for there to be a concussion

waterfield90November 15, 2022 12:49PM

Concussion - personal experience, plus research

mtramfan177November 15, 2022 02:42PM

Re: Concussion - personal experience, plus research

waterfield147November 15, 2022 08:14PM

Re: Concussion - personal experience, plus research

mtramfan120November 15, 2022 10:37PM