Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ramsey 2nd sack proves Rams desperate for QB pressure…

October 20, 2022 04:01PM
Ramsey 2nd sack proves LA Rams D desperate for QB pressure

[ramblinfan.com].

by Bret Stuter

The LA Rams celebrated the second quarterback sack of All-Pro defensive back Jalen Ramsey’s career. Until this season, Jalen Ramsey had never recorded a quarterback sack. Now, in the 2022 NFL season, suddenly Jalen Ramsey is finding the range to take down opposing quarterbacks?

That has prompted the player, his teammates, and the team to celebrate in various ways on social media. For my part, I’m not here to rain on anyone’s parade. Let them celebrate and live in the moment. They have certainly earned the right to do so. And getting anyone to the quarterback and bringing that quarterback to the ground is a good thing.

What I am here to do is analyze the LA Rams’ current status, draw logical conclusions about trends and performances, and share what I have found with readers.

Ramsey is the last guy you want sacking quarterbacks

Let’s start from the 30,000 feet level. From all of the options on this LA Rams roster, All-Pro defensive back Jalen Ramsey should be the last guy getting sacks. The guy is a shut-down cornerback, a physical tackler, and perhaps the best defensive player on the Rams’ defense behind All-Pro defensive tackle Aaron Donald.

Yes, Jalen Ramsey is an elite talent. Yes, Jalen Ramsey can get to the quarterback if you give him the opportunity. And yes, the confusion that Ramsey’s potential blitzing at a quarterback causes to blocking schemes can be a valuable tool.

But when Jalen Ramsey is the second-leading defensive player in quarterback sacks, then the LA Rams have huge problems getting after the passer.

You don’t pull on superman’s cape, you don’t spit into the wind, you don’t pull the mask off the ole Lone Ranger, and you don’t send Jalen Ramsey after the quarterback. Imagine the outcry if you dropped defensive lineman Aaron Donald into pass coverage, and he was the second-leading player on the defense with two interceptions? Great for him, yes. Absolute crap for the defense as a whole.

Imagine if, on a blitz, Ramsey is injured. Imagine the outrage over the LA Rams losing their best cover guy on a play where he was not covering anyone. Yes, this Rams defense needs to be creative at getting pressure on the quarterback.

But I stand behind my words. In my mind, Jalen Ramsey is the last guy the Rams should be sending after opposing quarterbacks right now.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Ramsey 2nd sack proves Rams desperate for QB pressure…

Rams43160October 20, 2022 04:01PM

Ramsey did well..

sstrams70October 20, 2022 04:11PM

Re: Ramsey did well..

george_allen105October 20, 2022 04:52PM

That's the one thing I'm most positive about...

JamesJM80October 20, 2022 04:51PM

dumb conclusion ....Rams defense is not desperate

Rampage2K-67October 20, 2022 05:10PM

You don't take kindly to bad press, do you?

JamesJM136October 20, 2022 05:19PM

Re: You don't take kindly to bad press, do you?

Rampage2K-71October 20, 2022 05:27PM

Rams43103October 20, 2022 05:40PM

Rampage2K-61October 20, 2022 06:17PM

Corner blitzes?

mtramfan88October 20, 2022 06:51PM

Re: Corner blitzes?

SoCalRAMatic72October 21, 2022 04:51AM

Rams4347October 21, 2022 06:38AM

Re: dumb conclusion ....Rams defense is not desperate

Classicalwit51October 20, 2022 06:50PM

Re: dumb conclusion ....Rams defense is not desperate

GroundPounder86October 21, 2022 05:07AM