Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rob Havenstein trying to fill Andrew Whitworth's shoes as a leader by example

September 03, 2022 09:43AM
[theramswire.usatoday.com] Rob Havenstein trying to fill Andrew Whitworth's shoes as a leader by example

Cameron DaSilva
September 3, 2022 5:00 am PT

Andrew Whitworth’s retirement left the Rams with a big void at left tackle, one they’ve already filled with Joe Noteboom. But he also left a hole as a leader of this team, both off the field and on Sundays.

Rob Havenstein, the eldest offensive lineman, is in a perfect position to step up as the guy younger players look up to. He’s doing everything he can to help fill the shoes of Whitworth, attempting to lead by example just as No. 77 did during his five years in Los Angeles.

“He spoke when necessary, he spoke when needed. He had an uncanny ability for that,” Havenstein told the Rams’ site. “He really led by example. He went out there and just did it first. You could never say, ‘Hey, I’m out-working Andrew right now,’ you know? That’s something I hope I’m bringing right now.”

Havenstein, 30, has been a starter for the Rams since 2015, primarily playing right tackle. He’s been one of the most underrated players on this star-studded team led by Sean McVay, holding down the right side of the line with a high level of play.

Having gained the experience he has, Havenstein feels he can help the Rams’ younger linemen with their technique and blocking.

“I feel like I at least somewhat know what I’m talking about now,” Havenstein said. “So if I see a young guy making the same mistakes I’ve made or I’ve seen before, it’s just easier to go ahead and address that. Maybe it’s showing them how it’s done, but it’s more talking through it and how I understand certain things and certain body positions for offensive linemen, specifically.”

The Rams could use his leadership on the field with Whitworth gone, and it sounds like he’s more than up to the task.

Read the full feature on Havenstein here.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rob Havenstein trying to fill Andrew Whitworth's shoes as a leader by example

BerendsenRam76September 03, 2022 09:43AM

Setting the example: The steady leadership of Rob Havenstein

BerendsenRam48September 03, 2022 09:54AM