Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blinkscout PS game 2 ... Texans

August 23, 2022 10:24AM
I think one thing to remember when thinking about this game is that regardless of the fact that we had our 2s and 3s in ... it's not just about the expected talent gap. It's mainly an experience gap. We weren't playing guys with experience.

So to some out of the first half basically pitching a shutout was more than a little impressive. Did they have Cooks? Pierce? No. But our 2nd team defense was not giving them anything. The two passes that got them the TD were both high quality plays to quality receivers (I think Nico Collins is going to be a beast). Just 2 plays.

Also, I watched knowing who we cut, trying to see if there was anything glaring.

I'll do the Bruss and Hardy injuries here ... this was going to be a redshirt year for Bruss, so it's perfect timing. He got a good camp in, got preseason snaps, and now he can work on his strength for a year. Honestly the line was better with Brewer at OLG and Anchrum at ORG after he exited, and by a noticeable margin IMO.
Hardy is tougher ... because we need every roster spot. I feel like he'll clear waivers. I'd chance it.

The Great

1) McCutcheon getting open against Stingley, and winning that late jump ball (even though he turned the wrong direction).

2) The Ragas TD. That reminds me of his college days and props to the O line for bulldozing with him.

3) Hopkins. Now he looks like the guy I imagined him becoming. Catches in traffic, feel for the middle of the field ... falling forward.

4) Jonah Williams. Year 3 ... hard work pays off.

5) Robert Rochell. He's putting it all together.

The Good

6) TJ Carter Jr. ... I know, I've been a fan since his freshman year at Memphis because of his leadership and aggression. I didn't think he'd switch to safety, but i have to admit I haven't seen anyone on our team in a while flash across the screen into contact from distance like he does. I know we have hitters ... not what I'm talking about. Full speed from distance to the point of attack. Reminds me of my boy Marquez Pope.

7) Keir Thomas ... had a solid game but absolutely destroyed one Texans series ...

8) Duron Lowe had a game. Might have been PI in the end zone, but he jumped out.

9) Bryce Perkins is throwing a nice ball.

10) Hardy getting home for a sack (with Durant?) was nice.

11) FF by Hoecht punching it out (announcers missed who caused it)

12) Roger Carter looking smooth and confident. He's got strength ... squatty but smooth. In college I saw him run through and away from people. Seems to be better on teams than I would have expected.

13) Jacob Harris looked smooth. Maybe we keep both? Maybe he does more inside work?

14) Anchrum stabilizes wherever he is. I like he and AJ for gameday backups.

15) Arcuri is progressing quickly ... was not expecting him to adjust so quickly, but he has played a LOT of football.

16) Again very few penalties and good game command.

17) Trammell looks like the gutsy backup we like stashed on the PS.

The Bad

18) Calais made 3 mistakes.

19) Rose fumbled on 3rd and 1.

20) I'm not really happy about our punting situation. Lots of returns. Not liking it.

21) I know it was our 2nd team OL, but I expected Wolford to have more time.

22) Yeast's penalty was costly. He's a safety, he should know how to target.

That's where I'm at ...
Questions and comments welcome ...

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Blinkscout PS game 2 ... Texans

alyoshamucci543August 23, 2022 10:24AM

20) I'm not really happy about our punting situation. Lots of returns. Not liking it.

BigGame81147August 23, 2022 10:45AM

Thought Dixon Punted Really Well

den-the-coach216August 23, 2022 10:52AM

Re: Thought Dixon Punted Really Well

alyoshamucci271August 23, 2022 11:35AM

Re: Blinkscout PS game 2 ... Texans

leafnose146August 23, 2022 11:02AM

Thank you Alyo for your write-ups

Coy Bacon93August 23, 2022 05:11PM