Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fearsomefour has some excellent thoughts after the Blanton cut…

August 23, 2022 06:38AM
Here’s fearsomefour…

To me the Blanton cut clarifies a couple of things....and I may be way off of course.
McVay puts a high value on flexibility. He also puts a lot of value on blocking.
Blanton was not a great blocking TE.
Higbee can do everything a TE is supposed to do.....and he does it all well. A true complete TE. A rarity these days.
The Blanton cut means, to me, that McVay is happy with the big bodied WRs he added knowing that he can get the blocking work done while still running his 11 personal. It allows him to run TE heavy plays without getting out of his favorite/best talent grouping.
Any of these bigger WR can line up anywhere.....outside, slot, hand down in line (or more likely standing up), bunch, even in the backfield. I think he thinks (and I would agree) having the bigger WR that are willing blockers gives him a lot more latitude to be creative in all sorts of ways.
The Rams also lost Mundt last year....he was the designated "blocking" TE. If the Rams keep a third TE it will be the blocker Carter.
I think the Rams will keep Higbee and Hopkins with Carter on the PS, at least to start the year.
Want to go big? Kupp, Robinson, McCutcheon, Higbee, Harris....that is going to be brutal for a lot of teams to match up with.
Want to small and quick (as opposed to fast/physical) Kupp, Tutu, Powell, Trammell at WR.
McVay has said he wants a role for Powell outside of just kicks. I doubt that happens but McVay likes him. He also said some kind words about Trammell....as he should. He has really stood out this reason. Of course McCutcheon as well. SO much talent in this group.
Can mix and match every which way.
The truth is, of course, Kupp, Robinson and Jefferson are going to get most of the work. Ben S is a favorite and also a good size, physical willing blocker.....then we may see Tutu, McCutcheon, Harris etc.
McVay has a big toy box of talent to get creative with. The sad part is, there is only one football and so many plays every game. Being able to have a guy like McCuthceon teamed with Kupp, Robinson and Higbee in redbone situation is just so huge. That is just a scary mix of route running, size and playmaking ability for a D to defend.
The Blanton cut revealed those to me anyway about (maybe) what they are thinking.
With this group of talent at receiver, QB and RB the only thing that may stop the Rams this year is the OL...
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Why Kendall Blanton's release is a good sign for Lance McCutcheon and Jacob Harris

BerendsenRam197August 22, 2022 09:02AM

Cont: Why Kendall Blanton's release is a good sign for Lance McCutcheon and Jacob Harris

BerendsenRam104August 22, 2022 09:10AM

Article: After surprise cut of Kendall Blanton, Brycen Hopkins is now TE2

BerendsenRam131August 22, 2022 09:33AM

Re: Article: After surprise cut of Kendall Blanton, Brycen Hopkins is now TE2

Ramstien88August 22, 2022 10:49AM

Re: Article: After surprise cut of Kendall Blanton, Brycen Hopkins is now TE2

BerendsenRam115August 22, 2022 12:28PM

No doubt... but is it good news for the Rams...

JamesJM111August 22, 2022 09:24AM

Fearsomefour has some excellent thoughts after the Blanton cut…

Rams4375August 23, 2022 06:38AM

Re: Fearsomefour has some excellent thoughts after the Blanton cut…

farley63August 23, 2022 07:04AM