Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is Bryce Perkins getting what Steve Young wants for Lamar Jackson?

August 20, 2022 12:09PM
Steve Young played in the USFL. He then had four seasons in the NFL with a completion percentage at 53% or less. In his 5th year in the NFL, he hit on 69% completion percentage. Young did not pass for 3,000 yards in a season until his 7th season in the NFL. [www.pro-football-reference.com] Bradshaw needed many years for the light to go on. It was a different era but in four out his first five seasons Bradshaw hit less than 50% of his passes (38%, 54%, 48%, 49%, 45%). The famous quote being that Bradshaw early in his career was that he couldn't spell the word cat even if you spotted him the C and A. [www.pro-football-reference.com]

I would imagine Young sees similarities between himself and Lamar Jackson, who has not passed for 3,200 yards in any of his first four seasons. [www.pro-football-reference.com]

"Lamar Jackson is a complete player that is not being trained in being a sophisticated passer," Young said. "[The Ravens] doubled down again back to do all the great things that Lamar does."

“The Baltimore Ravens have doubled down again on being the most sophisticated running game in football. They have been mowing through regular season opponents for a long time with this sophisticated running game. My position is they will never get to championship football without a sophisticated passing game."

"He keeps getting held back by the Ravens year after year because they keep doubling down to this thing Lamar Jackson is great at," Young said.

"No question, he’s the best at that. But that’s not the championship football they need to play. That’s not what Lamar Jackson wants to be."

“I can't wait for someone to train Lamar Jackson in a sophisticated passing game. I think he'd be the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said.

"I want the full measure of who Lamar Jackson is, and it's not being brought forward by the Ravens," Young added.

I am wondering if the case is it is not a lack of development on the part of Perkins, but that development for some QBs takes years. It seems like we are seeing the development occur before our eyes in the preseason games. Has Perkins shown enough to warrant further investment? Where could he be as a QB after 4 years with Rams offensive coaching staff? Or does McVay view a lack of arm talent, etc. to justify the investment?

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Bryce Perkins proves worthy of a roster spot in Friday’s loss

BerendsenRam191August 20, 2022 10:37AM

Is Bryce Perkins getting what Steve Young wants for Lamar Jackson?

Rams Junkie89August 20, 2022 12:09PM