Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: New Aaron Donald, Cooper Kupp deals actually create 2022 cap space for the Rams

June 10, 2022 10:04AM
BerendsenRam
The Rams kicked the can, like many teams do. With the salary cap on the front end of a major growth spurt, any dollars deferred from 2022 into future years will have a reduced impact, since they’ll reflect a smaller percentage of the overall cap.

Still, the team’s approach to paying big money to multiple players has a practical impact.... The Rams risk reliance on young, cheap, and inexperienced players if starters are injured. ...

That puts more pressure on the front office to find capable, low-cost talent — and more pressure on the coaching staff to get those players ready to go — if/when starters are injured. It also puts more pressure of a training staff led by Reggie Scott to ensure that the team’s best players can play as many games as possible.

The risk is calculated. The risk is real. A rash of injuries will relegate the Rams to relying on reserves who aren’t as good as those with teams who have less of a gap in cap dollars between the starters and the understudies.

I have no complaint about what our FO is doing. It is great and, so far, has produced superb results.

It is important, however, not to casually assume that Les & Co. have found a way to neutralize cap limitations. The cap is elastic, but it still packs a punch. These moves secure our elite talents. But they have spent a great deal of our flexibility.

The risks are very high. Injuries and aging could strike at any moment and we really do not have much room to maneuver.

Even if our studs remain productive for a few years, there is enormous pressure on our FO to hit on late round picks and UDFAs at an insane level of effectiveness. They have a good track record. And the crop this year looks promising. But rookies are a risk even in early rounds, and the odds are that the well will run dry one year.

Look. I won't worry about it now. We have another ring and a damn good team. A fan can't ask for much more.

Looking ahead, however, I really don't think we will be able to avoid a sharp drop off when our top stars fade away. There will be a couple of years at least of paying the price. I hope we can remain solid and find a road that leads once again to stars. I really wonder where we will find our next quality QB.

Short term, I would reiterate a point I have made often.

I do not want to sign OBJ or any other vet until at least mid-season. I doubt we will actually need OBJ and I want some cap flexibility for dealing with mid-season issues. Enough with the signings. This roster has plenty of star power to push deep into the playoffs yet again. We don't need another "superstar." We need to solidify our execution. The key for this year, barring injuries, is not acquisition but performance.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

New Aaron Donald, Cooper Kupp deals actually create 2022 cap space for the Rams

BerendsenRam268June 10, 2022 09:18AM

Pure Cap Wizardry

Shecky102June 10, 2022 09:34AM

Re: New Aaron Donald, Cooper Kupp deals actually create 2022 cap space for the Rams

RFL120June 10, 2022 10:04AM

BerendsenRam90June 11, 2022 09:28AM