Anonymous User
May 21, 2022 05:58PM
BerendsenRam

The team on offense has to make a yard — 1 yard — or the clock stops. A few things can happen when trying to make a yard. You can get stuffed. You can fumble. You can get a penalty. And you keep the fans interested.”

This is absurd! Stopping the clock when the winning team doesn't gain 1 yard in the final seconds confused smiley. (This rule would have to be in play for entire game to even kind of make sense.)

If the clock was stopped every time a team on offense doesn't gain a yard, there could be an extra 20 minutes or more added to each game. I would never want this rule to happen.

“There’s no fair catch in Canada, but the coverage also has to give the returner 5 yards. NFL people hear this and they’ll say, ‘It will increase injuries.’ The 5-yard cushion makes all the difference. My opinion is there won’t be a real increase in injuries, and the punt would become an interesting play.”

This isn't Canada Grant... The fair catch rule is one of the best and safest rules in the NFL. Punt returners would get destroyed if they weren't allowed to call a fair catch. They would also get PTSD after being blasted and there would likely be half as many punt returns meaning the team that that gets the ball would be further backed up on their side of the field. Longer drives and more punts. The punt return rules are fine the way they are. I would never want this rule changed.

Grant also wants to disincentivize touchbacks on kickoffs.

“Why bother, if your goal is to make the kickoff the most-nothing play in football? They say it’s about safety. Injuries happen on every play,” Grant said.

Selling your cause based on the analogy "injuries happen on every play" is one of the most ridiculous arguments I've ever read.

I'm all for the safety of the players and I'm 100% behind the current NFL rules protecting their health. I don't agree with all of the NFL rules outside of health, but I shrug when I read opinions expressing that the NFL is becoming flag football. This is 2022 and the rules regarding protecting the players are fine the way they are.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Bud Grant urges NFL to change rules to reduce kneeldowns, fair catches, touchbacks

BerendsenRam482May 21, 2022 09:25AM

Re: Bud Grant urges NFL to change rules to reduce kneeldowns, fair catches, touchbacks

SoCalRAMatic212May 21, 2022 09:40AM

Re: Bud Grant urges NFL to change rules to reduce kneeldowns, fair catches, touchbacks

BerendsenRam127May 21, 2022 12:39PM

Ekern55180May 21, 2022 03:03PM

Bud Grant still alive?????

stlramz185May 21, 2022 03:44PM

Classicalwit128May 21, 2022 04:21PM

Classicalwit116May 21, 2022 04:25PM

Grant urges NFL to change rules: Not on board with the 1 yard proposal

Anonymous User140May 21, 2022 05:58PM

Totally agree with Grant on kneel downs and fair catches.

canadaram141May 22, 2022 02:49AM

I think the fair catch is already exciting enough

Atlantic Ram104May 22, 2022 12:44PM

Notice the timing of this

NewMexicoRam138May 22, 2022 06:29PM