Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Oldnotdead speculates on a possible offseason trade scenario…

May 11, 2022 01:13PM
Here’s oldnotdead…

Why the wait to finish the contract extensions and sign OBJ? The more I think about it the more I'm suspecting a pretty big splash trade. One that will involve substantial money being "eaten" by one or both sides. This would mean the team or teams would want to make the transaction post-June 1 to allow them to spread the money out over two years to lower the cap impact. It would be for an edge who the Rams would want to sign to multiple years especially if it involves both teams giving up players in the deal. They would be working these contracts out before the deal is done.

I think what I've heard is probably true. A trade involving two players one from the Rams and one they are trading for. When I look at the roster the only position that the Rams conceivably have the depth for that kind of trade would be at WR. WR money has gone through the roof and going forward just how many elite WRs can the Rams afford? Van Jefferson is an ascending player. OBJ is an established player. If they are going to sign OBJ do they dare trade away Jefferson? I think they would if the player they get in return gives them elite level production and young enough for a full 4 year contract.

That's why I've been looking at Hunter for Jefferson. The Vikings have made no effort to move Hunter even though he's been replaced and he's sitting on their roster with a $25.8 M cap hit. Jefferson is in the middle of his rookie contract. But I think any trade would mean the Vikings eat about $12-$14M of Hunter's contract. This would allow the Rams to sign Hunter who is 27 years old to a 4 year deal with a void 5th and perhaps 6th year to spread the cap. The trade I see is Jefferson + next year's 2nd-round pick for Hunter. This gives the Vikings 3 starting WRs. The Vikings need a third WR and the one they grabbed isn't nearly as good as Jefferson.

There would be a whole lot of moving parts in something like this besides the players. Restructuring AD's contract, extending Kupp's contract, and needing probably to restructure a third player (someone like A'Shawn Robinson) to make room for a player like Hunter and OBJ.

Whether it's Hunter vs Jefferson is all speculation. But waiting to finish the AD, Kupp and OBJ deals shouldn't take this long. I think something is in the works and this is my personal speculation.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Oldnotdead speculates on a possible offseason trade scenario…

Rams43631May 11, 2022 01:13PM

Re: Oldnotdead speculates on a possible offseason trade scenario…

george_allen221May 11, 2022 02:59PM

Re: Oldnotdead speculates on a possible offseason trade scenario… Attachments

AlbaNY_Ram378May 11, 2022 05:37PM

Re: Oldnotdead speculates on a possible offseason trade scenario…

Ramstien119May 12, 2022 12:19PM

Thanks for all that work!

Ramadune264May 12, 2022 01:15PM