Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Random draft thoughts regarding possible positions the Rams might target

April 29, 2022 10:06AM
I started thinking more about this after the Rams met with Cook. Why would the Rams look at a day 2 RB?

Well, look at the Rams RB room as it stands:

Akers - 2 years left on contract, coming off an achilles tear. Does he get back to his old self, and even if he does, are the Rams giving him that big contract? I'm not so sure.

Hendo - This is his final year of his rookie contract, add in the fact that he isn't a lead back and he has been injured multiple times and I come away thinking he might not be in their plans going forward. Plus, does he want to stay as a change of pace back?

Funk - 2 years left, but he is a ST guy with a couple of ACL tears. His upside is limited.

Jones - Final year and JaG. He could be cut tomorrow to save the Rams 825k with virtually no dead cap.

So, if the Rams are looking to the future and at the same time, protecting themselves again Akers and Hendo injury concerns, a RB early may be in the cards. I could see a scenario where if the right RB is there in the late 70's to the 80s, they trade up. Or sit pat and let the draft come to them and take their guy at 104.

The TE room is also pretty thin.

Higbee - 2 years left on his deal, but cutting him after this year saves the Rams over 6m with only a little over 1m in dead money. I think he is here for at least 2 more years though.

Blanton - He is in the final year of his contract, but he could be cut this year and save the rams 895k against 0 in dead money. He'll get this year for sure.

Markway - 2 years left, but no guaranteed money - can be cut to save the Rams 705k this year and 800k next. JaG

Hopkins - has 2 years left, but again he can be cut with little dead money. I think he gets the final 2 years, esp with his SB showing.

Lost Mundt to FA

So its really just Higbee and 2 guys that cannot block and if we are being honest, have shown little to nothing except for the playoff run. You can keep those guys and hope 1 develops and financially it really doesn't hurt. But neither is a blocker and if the Rams really want to play some big boy 12 personnel, then you need a 2nd blocking TE. I really think there is a TE they like somewhere and they will reach to get him, because to them its not reaching. Its a guy that can help immediately and fits their scheme. They have already admitted they don't rank players by round.

The last thing I was thinking about was McSneads comments about how they are counting on these draft picks to help sooner than later, and that they don't rank players by round. Also they prefer to trade back than up. So who could the Rams take a round or so early, can contribute right away and they could trade back and still get? Matt Araiza - the punter. I honestly could even see them trade up for him ,if they think he might go earlier. He def. lasts until the 3rd round, question is how long. I'd love for the Raiders or some other poor drafting team take him, simply because I put more value on the other positions, but I won't be upset if they take him. Kid has a monster leg.

On a side note, since I like the idea of drafting a CB early, has anyone actually looked at the Rams depth chart at CB?

Ramsey - locked in
Rochell - 3 years left, so locked in
Long - in his final year.
Haley and Hall are JaGs

So basically the Rams have 3 CBs on their roster, and 1 is in his final year. No depth, and it only gets thinner after this year. It is imperative they find a CB that can contribute dang near right away.

Edge isn't nearly as bad IMO

Floyd is locked in
Garrett is locked it
Lewis has 2 years left
Hollins is on his final year.

So, even though I'm def drafting an edge or 2, CB is more pressing.

After looking at this, needs in order: CB, RB, TE, Edge, P, OL, S, IDL, WR, ILB, QB

Anyhow just some thoughts as it pours rain for the next 2 days.

Don't waste your time looking back, you're not going that way. - Ragnar Lothbrok
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Random draft thoughts regarding possible positions the Rams might target

Deadpool412April 29, 2022 10:06AM

Re: Random draft thoughts regarding possible positions the Rams might target

Ridgewood Ram220April 29, 2022 12:37PM

Draft regarding possible positions for Rams: Great Consolidation Dp

Anonymous User154April 29, 2022 02:02PM

Solid post, DP

leafnose114April 29, 2022 02:25PM

He's a WR

Deadpool129April 29, 2022 02:41PM

Nothing to argue with there, thanks DP you rock